Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • C2C: Reivers, Hadrian's or umm…..C2C?
  • BlobOnAStick

Hi,

Myself and a few mates are looking into doing the C2C later this year on road bikes (rather than hybrids).

We'll be a mixed group of hardened cyclists through to fairly novice (but fit) level.

Looking at the C2C website, there are 3 routes listed, with a significant part of the route called 'C2C' made up of tracks/old railway lines, which puts us off a bit.

Has anyone experience of more than one of these routes? If so, which of the routes listed above would you recommend?

Any other tips gratefully received….

Ben

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We're supposed to be doing it in 24hrs later this yr. We are doing the CTC route that is approx. 50% 'off-road' i.e. old rail tracks etc. I'm wondering what bike to do it on, my Mount Vision will be a pig on the road even with narrow slicks so i suspect it will be my Boardman hybrid with CX tyres fitted.

Jammy111
    Free Member

on the normal route you will be fine on a roady with some bigger cross style tyres on.

BlobOnAStick

Funnily enough when I was asked if I wanted to organise it my response was "are we doing it in 24 hours?"

'Snot really a proper challenge otherwise is it?

Edit: the usual 3 days was agreed upon in the end.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Jammy – how 'off road' are the off-road sections of the CTC C2C route?
    Thinking of going from Workington rather than Whitehaven.

Jammy111
    Free Member

ive done it from whitehaven twice to sunderland and tynemouth. the only 'offroad' bit is some fireroad section just before you get to kewsick (its in some forestry comission woods, i forget the name) apart form that its all either small roads or tow path style compacted gravel/dirt stuff. you can avoid the bit through the wood by sticking on the road and taking it right through to keswick.

basically most of it is on roads, and any bit that isnt is only short and pretty easy to find a route around if you've got a map. a cx bike would be perfect and probably the weapon of choice if you were aiming for sub 24 hours. however a roady with a tyre change would also be fine.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I'm thinking that my Boardman with CX tyres will be perfect then! One mate will be on a proper CX bike and another on a Cube hardtail mtb with road slicks on. Looking forward to it now 🙂

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

The forest coming into Keswick is Whinlatter.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

But the C2C route through Whinlatter doesn't go up the red routes does it! 😆

Jammy111
    Free Member

goes up the road to the visitor centre thing, then down the other side, on the fireroads, towards keswick (they were building some interesting looking trails there last march). or as you will have to do, you follow the road from the visitor centre down and rejoin the route to get to keswick. then only 100miles more 😀

job done!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It's going to hurt isn't it…..? 😥

vim_fuego
    Free Member

If you are doing from Workington, it's Wythop Woods you go through. Whitehaven route goes over Whinlatter to the visitors centre, then down the fire road to Thornthwaite.

vim_fuego
    Free Member

If you are reasonably fit, you would have nothing to worry about doing any of them on a hardtail with a fairly smooth tread on. If you are a bit fitter than your mates on a bike it's not a bad way to even things up a bit.
    I've done c2c, rievers and Hadrians, lost count how times, used my Cotic Soul last year for Reivers, Larsen ust front, Crossmax ust back, it was excellent, no puntures. Plus you can divert off from the group and do any of the offroad alternatives, which is nice, the new bit at Newcastleton was a nice change from the roads. Had to tow a guy with two innertubes, he was knackered.
    Three days is ideal, you can have a few shandies at night, enjoy.

BlobOnAStick

Thanks Vim.

Do you have a favorite? I like the idea of cycling up the west coastline to Carlisle (Hadrian's route I think), but I don't know if this means pain later.

3 days and quite a few beers is definitely what the lads want to do!

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Hadrians route starts at Ravenglass, we missed it out due to living on route further up the coast. The prevailing wind should blow you along quite nicely to Port Carlisle, but if you are proper unlucky, and the wind is coming from the north or east, boy some of your less fit mates will suffer. We stayed at Carlisle and Hexham, then the Village hotel outside Newcastle.
    I think my favourite is the Rievers, did it last year west to east, better for wind direction. Stayed at Carlisle, Bellingham and The afformentioned Village Hotel.
    But they are all a bit different and all great fun, just make sure your mates are good for 60-70 miles a day on undulating terrain, factor in for wet windy weather.

antigee

I think my favourite is the Rievers, did it last year west to east, better for wind direction. Stayed at Carlisle, Bellingham and The afformentioned Village Hotel

how much of the Rievers is road? trail?

to answer original question done C2C Whitehaven to Tyne on a road bike in 2 days – most (99%) of the non road is well surfaced

BlobOnAStick

Thanks everyone!

I would love to do one there (with the lads) and maybe turn round and cycle back again, but I don't think the pass-out will stretch as far as that.

Ben

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘C2C: Reivers, Hadrian's or umm…..C2C?’ is closed to new replies.