Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • c2c in a day – rider experiences?
  • jonba
    Free Member

Am thinking about doing this in the next few months. The GPS route I have says it will be about 130 miles from Whitehaven to Tynemouth but there are a lot of straight lines cutting corners so I’m estimating it’ll be closer to 150. About 3000m of climbing.

So if you’ve done it does this sound about right?

How long did it take you? (I’m guessing I could do it in around 12 hours) as I’ve ridden 140 mile rides in 9 hours but with a lot less (1000m less) climbing.

Some of the climbs seem pretty sizeable but nothing ridiculous, what gears did you run? I think my lowest will be 34:25 on the cross bike.

I’ll probably ride my cross bike as my road bike might not cope too well with anything other than tarmac (no tyre clearance and 23mm tyres). Put on fatish tyres that will allow me to do anything other than muddy off road but still keep up a decent pace on the road.

I’m probably going to get the train over from Newcastle in the morning which means I won’t start till 9.30 so I’ll have to take a light in case I hit any problems. I’ll pass by my house about an hour before the end anyway…

MrOvershoot
    paul4stones

I did it in 2009. It came up as about 140 miles. Took us about 15hrs, 12hrs riding on suitably tyred mtbs (3 29ers). I had an Alfine 8 on and used the lowest gear on the rookhope incline I think. You’ll be fine on a cross bike, probably with Landcruisers or similar – that’s how I would do it if I did it again.

jonba
    Free Member

Still pushing it to start at 9.30 if it takes 15hours… but staying a night adds a whole heap of extra complication.

Did you stay overnight the night before and if so what did you do with other “stuff” (toothbrush, clothes etc?)

jota180
    Free Member

Travelling across on the morning will tire you out IMO
    You’ll still have to get up very early

Better off stopping over the night before, just go in an old pair of jeans and a T shirt and dump them before you start

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Did it in 2010, 15hrs total 10.75hrs rolling time. Clicked it at 135 miles with 9’300ft of climbing. Some of the climbs after the Eden valley are tough on tired legs especially that rookhope one. Take lights, don’t spend too long at food stops, the time disappears before you know it. Do stop at the cyclists cafe in greystoke though.

allthegear
    Free Member

As people have said, it is worth staying overnight in Whitehaven. Early start makes a big difference and, when we did it a couple of tears ago, riding through Consett etc in the disk/dark is a little scary.

Rachel

jonba
    Free Member

couple of tears ago

tough ride/Freudian slip?

I’ll look into accommodation, might take some of the stress out of the train arrangements as well. ANywhere cheap with secure bike storage you can recommend/

Tracker1972
    Free Member

We drove/got a lift to the start for an early evening start, expecting a lunchtime finish. Stopped too often for too long, had a massive headwind the whole way and persistent rain. It was the tail end of some hurricane or something… Rode every off road bit on the map, can’t say I would recommend the Old Coach Road at night, in a storm for fun!
    Took 19 hours in the end, mates got mildly hyperthermic around Hartside (past shaking, rode downhill pedaling and braking to try and warm up, I was wearing a wetsuit rash vest so wasn’t too bad) and we bloody loved it 🙂
    140 miles from Whitehaven to Sunderland I think we made it.
    Proper sense of achievement and cycling through the night is just brilliant.

paul78
    Free Member

Done this a few times and 12 hours on a cross bike is more than achievable …

First time I did it on a new years day in just under 12 hours … Second time I added some warm up miles (http://shoestring-racing.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/blocking-some-miles-true-student-of.html) .. 🙂

Living in Newcastle I often ride out to Penrith then train home … Would say last train on Friday night from Newcastle to Whitehaven .. It’s a direct train so minimal hassle … Cheap b&b and an early start in morning. You don’t need extra clothes unless you wanted to go see wildlife in Whitehaven on a Friday night and toothbrush isn’t gonna add too much weight to carry.

miketually
    Free Member
    LardLover
    Free Member

I did it last year, but stuck to the road, came in at 8 hours riding time. I stopped at Hartside for something to eat then carried on from there to the coast. Wasn’t as bad as I though, only came in around 130 miles or so (Workington to Tynemouth). I stayed overnight in Workington.

I’m doing a 300km Auduax next Saturday, depending on how I feel I may join the road clubs coast-to-coast-to-coast in a day in June. Then again, I probably won’t.

paul4stones

We stayed in a ‘camping barn’ about 3 miles out of Whitehaven. All stuff was carried by my wife who supported us throughout. I’ll check but I don’t think she’s available.

Don’t stay in ‘The Mansion’ in Whitehaven . . .

oliverd1981
    Free Member

As a resident of Consett I can recomend riding through after dusk as an aesthetic, but not necessarily a safety point of view. Although if you’re headed to Tynemouth, the Derwent walk manages to stick to the nicer bits.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘c2c in a day – rider experiences?’ is closed to new replies.