Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • C2C in a day – anyone done it?
  • MoreCashThanDash

A mate suggested last night that we should enter next year’s C2C in a day as a challenge to train for.

Given that the spark for the conversation was how we don’t get enough time to train/ride for ourselves due to work/family commitments, him coaching swimming and triathlon, me ride leading every other weekend, I’m not sure how we would get the miles in to do it.

Any experiences of doing it and advice? We’d be aiming to survive rather than be first home.

allthegear
    Free Member

Done the Sustrans C2C, Whitehaven to Sunderland in a day. Wasn’t too bad in the end.

I’m not exactly fit. Just quite determined

Rachel

Mackem

Yes, accidentally, about 14 hours.

thenorthwind

I did once, solo, overnight, on a hardtail with no front brake. Last train to Whitehaven from Newcastle on Friday night, turned straight round and pedalled back. Took me 15 hours. One of the best things I’ve ever done.

It sounds like you’re both fairly fit, so I wouldn’t worry about training. I didn’t do anything specific.

MoreCashThanDash

Sorry, should have said, this is an organised event, if we were planning our own we’d take a week and stop at every pub!

Fitness is our concern – he coaches every weekend and a couple of evenings, as well as taking his kids to events. I’ve spent much of my riding time this year leading flat slow beginner rides, and I can’t see either of us getting much chance to change that much.

BigJohn

I did it once. But it was in Cornwall.

windydave13
    Free Member

If you mean the one from Seascale to Whitby, its an awesome day out. I did it this year. Its a fantastic event which is superbly organised and has the best food stops i’ve ever been to.

My longest ride prior was 70miles and i managed it without too much fuss. Just be prepared for Hardknott at the beginning and you’ll be fine

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers windydave

reggiegasket
    Free Member

if we’re talking road, then I’ve done (near) Lancaster to Flamborough Head. That’s 147 miles. Good route.

Some mates did a shorter version recently: Lancaster to Scarborough, that was 128 miles. I can send you the Strava route if you want.

TomB

I did the first one, and really enjoyed it. About 12 hours, I’m no Froome but living in the lakes meant I could at least prepare for the steeps. We had sunshine and a westerly wind, which meant the bit through the dales flew by. Be prepared for several 1:4 climbs right at the end. Recommended. Great support/feed stations, I got the organised bus back to Penrith the next day. Don’t worry about training distance, I think my longest ride before was 100 flatish miles. I mostly did 2-3 hour hilly rides- local passes etc.

aazlad
    Free Member

I did Wales in a Day in 2015. Same organisers, just a bit longer (195 miles). Great day out. The food stations are a vast improvement on the usual sportif style food stops. Highly recommended.

windydave13
    Free Member

As i said before its a fantastic day out. Think of it as 5 30mile rides with a food stop after each.

I had a table with cummulative distances and distance between food stops to get me through the low moments taped to my bike.

Also, remember there are 5 climbs in the last 35miles. 4 of which you can spin up easily, the last is a bit steeper but very short (<100m long)

And, don’t be afraid to walk up Hardknott, lots of people will 😆

Edit – My strava route for the day. https://www.strava.com/activities/1052020466

d3carbon
    Free Member

Yes, accidentally, about 14 hours.

Hows that come about? Lol

fatmax

Seascale to Whitby route? Got a mate who has done it and thoroughly recommended it. Said it was a great route (some short steeps late in the day though) and really well organised. Go for it.

rocket
    Free Member

Did it this year as well. Fantastic day out. There was one particular climb near the end that nearly had me walking – think it was Limber Hill. Echo the comments about how well it was organised, and food stops were surprisingly good – reckon I put on weight on the day! Real mix of people riding, and a great atmosphere. Being a Cambridge local the climbing was hard to prepare for. I liked that it gave my riding some real focus for 2 or 3 months beforehand. I say do it, and start thinking about proper training in the new year.

MoreCashThanDash

Damn, none of you have made me think this would be a silly idea…..

windydave13
    Free Member

I’ve just signed up for next year. Just hope i don;t have to have another “bear in the woods” moment 😯

parkesie
    Free Member

Workington to Newcastle in a day easily achievable. Did it with a group of riders that hadn’t riden a road bike until 4 months before.2 group training rides per week to get everyone used to riding together fit enough and confident they could do it. Huge piss up in Newcastle as a reward 🙂

jekkyl

can you link the sign up page please and how much is it?
    ta

MoreCashThanDash
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘C2C in a day – anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.