Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Buying Tubeless Sealant
  • JAG

Hello and apologies for the tubeless tyre question (I’ve seen a few already today!)

So I’ve just got a pair of tubeless Hans Dampf on Stans ZTR rims. The rear tyre has started to slowly lose pressure – losing about 15 psi over a week. I can’t find any external tyre damage. No thorns or rips etc… So should I add some more tyre sealant?

If I buy sealant how much should I get? 250ml? 475ml?

How much should I put in a tyre??

martinhutch

Depends how often you’re thinking of changing tyres – it doesn’t keep forever, but I generally get through 475ml over that period.

Kryton57

Shake the wheel, can you hear sealant sloshing around? no? Add some. The guide is in the bottle but from memory (I just add 80ml of Stans to mine as default) its about 60-90ml depening on tyre/wheelsize.

Google and buy the biggest quantity, its usual cheaper to buy by volume.

stevied
    Free Member

I always buy the 950ml? bottle as it’s more economical as I’m a serial tyre changer. I do get as much out of the old tyre as I can and top up with fresh.

About £22 for a big one.

Edit: just checked Merlin…

1 x 2oz = £2.75
    1 x pint = £14 (just under 8 small bottles)
    1 x quart = £21 (twice as many as a medium bottle for 50% more money)

Northwind

Yeah, it lasts well in the bottle so I buy the biggest size, but then I suppose I change tyres more than most people- if you’re a “one bike one tyre” sort of a person then maybe the middle size bottle makes more sense.

OK one bike 2 tyres, you know what I mean. Shut up.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

If you’ve just set the tyres up as tubeless just keep topping the pressure up and do some riding. The slow leak will probably disappear.

JAG

Thanks for the guidance fellas – as it’s my first foray into tubeless tyres I’m going to get the middle size (around 475ml) and see how it lasts.

DrP

I’m going to get the middle size (around 475ml) and see how it lasts.

[sucks in through teeth]..really?

DrP

benpinnick

I always use 100ml in each tyre. Saves topping up so often.

puddings
    Free Member

Remember that sealant doesn’t like a blast of CO2 – when you first seated and inflated your tubeless conversion, if you had the valve at the bottom directly over the sealant and used a CO2 canister it might have turned it into a solid lump.

JAG

Not sure what was used to inflate the tyres originally as I bought them 2nd hand and they came built and inflated about 4 months ago 😳

…as I said “my first foray into tubeless tyres”

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Are you sure they are set up tubeless . If not are you sure that you don’t just have a slow puncture in the inner tube?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Buying Tubeless Sealant’ is closed to new replies.