Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Buying thin sheet steel
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Any ideas for a place to buy 300 x 200mm (or thereabouts) sheets in ~1mm steel?

I’d buy bigger but don’t have anything to cut with, or would basic snips do it?

footflaps

Local metal fabricators? They can cut to size for you.

mt
    Free Member

cynical Where are you?

trail_rat
    Free Member

ebay for minimal hassle + top cost option.

its how i get low volume steel.

my 1mm – dingbro do it for 17quid+ vat for an 8×4 sheet.

andyl
    Free Member

ebay? won’t be cheap but they will cut to size. Other than that as footflaps suggests or someone online.

I think hand held snips would struggle with 1mm and you won’t get a good cut.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Try any local sheet metal worker / fabricator. We scrap much bigger than that and would gladly give some away if someone asked.
    My 5m x 3m shed has a complete floor made from tiles of 300mm x 300mm aluminium tread plate that got cut from offcuts destined for the scrap bin.

wwaswas

drill powered Nibblers are relatively cheap and don’t deform the metal.

PePPeR

Or another option is thin cutting discs in an angle grinder, you can cut very very nearly with them…

ransos
    Free Member

I needed some stainless steel sheet to act as a splashback for the hob – found a local fabricator in the yellow pages and they cut it to size. Cheap as chips IIRC.

Gunz
    Free Member

I may well get flamed for this but I recently discovered B&Q did sheet metal in about that size and it really wasn’t that expensive (about £5 if I remember correctly).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks some good suggestions there. I’ll just order a couple of wee sheets initially then maybe go bulk if I do more.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Buying thin sheet steel’ is closed to new replies.