Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Buying second-hand oddness
  • albino
    Free Member

Do (genuine) sellers get narked if they get asked a few questions about the nitty gritty of what they’re selling?

In my search for a winter hardtail I’ve been in contact with a few sellers, (not off this forum!) asking about condition of frame, components and proof of ownership etc. For a fair few of these I’ve not had any response back at all…Judgement says I’m probably best off steering clear anyway but are there any taboos I’ve broken not to hear anything back at all?

Rickos
    Free Member

Doesn’t bother me. Proof of ownership can be a funny one though, especially if you’ve bought it second hand in the first place. I do hate it when I answer a load of questions and then never hear back, not even to say, OK thanks but I’ll pass on it this time. I’d much rather that than white space.

jam-bo

I couldn’t prove I own any of my bikes other than the fact they’re in my shed.

If someone asked to many questions I’d sell to someone less bothered.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

as Jam bo really as I have built my Swift from a frame from here, I guess I could shoe the threads I bought from etc.

If a seller is genuine I would expect fairly prompt replies and good information, basically honesty

Andy

I think if you are considering a purchase any questions on condition of frame, components and proof of ownership are perfectly acceptable. You have little rights other than the good will of the seller once paid for (oh thats such a troll for some on here – but essentially correct), so why shouldn’t you have any question on the above answered?

I’m the same and if no answer or not happy with the answer then I dont buy. Simple!

bol

I think it’s absolutely fair to ask lots of questions before parting with cash to someone you don’t know for something you haven’t seen. I’m always happy to answer questions. For me, forum history is the best indication of whether or not you’re going to get stung or not. I’m always happier buying from someone who regularly posts on the forum.

thomthumb
    Free Member

questions are fine. jumping through hoops is not. I have on 2 occasions offered to go home on lunch break and post stuff only to be asked for a discount. blaggers.

albino
    Free Member

It’s not like I’m giving anyone the full inquisition either – just if they’ve got any receipts for frame/fork etc. Seems a shame as I’ll probably miss out on a couple of tastyish bikes, but maybe they are to good to be true. No haggling either – been happy to pay the asking price and collect.
    Sure something will turn up on the FS forum on here at some point….Or maybe I need to stop being so choosey over a winter hack bike!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Buying second-hand oddness’ is closed to new replies.