Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buying new wheels today, but what ?
  • Archiedale
    Free Member

Off down to LBS to buy new set of wheels today for my stumpjumper expert.
    The ones fitted have really let me down, 420sl, bent and hub fell apart.So lads with you in the know, what should i purchase.General trailriding at centres and keep both wheels on the ground !!!!!

nuke

How much do you want to spend?

The standard responses are Hope Hoops (Probably recommended with Stans rims) or check out Merlin cycles.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

yeah standard answer hope hoops.

DT 4.2 for general duties or 355 if you can afford

Wookster

HI mate got some stans Flows amazing wheels really good also got two pairs of pro II with 719's and 819's respectivly both very good next set will be more flows on pro II's though, really good set on wheels mate.

br
    Free Member

Hope Hoops, all rims same price – but go Stans.

BigJohn

Bontrager Tubeless Ready (TLR) are excellent value. I've had mine for 18 months. 28 spokes and still true as a die. I'm over 15st and clumsy, and have taken them to the lakes, peak etc. Can be used tubed or tubeless.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I thought about the Hope wheels but the ones that interested me had a weight limit so I went with American Classics instead.

bill-oddie
    Free Member

hope pro 2 hubs, mavic rims (rim type dependant on intended use), double butted spokes. build em yourself using the sheldon brown guide. (its easy and this way you'll know a lot of care and attention went into it).

mcinnes
    Free Member

I weigh over 100kgs and like to ride quite hard, and haven't had the slightest issue since I swapped to Hope hubs with DT Ex500 (or something similar sounding) rims. No idea how much they weigh (I don't care), but they have been utterly bombproof – up and down Afan and lots of tree and small jump stuff.

glenncampbell

I'm on the 95 kilo side of things and have gone for hope pro 2 and DT Swiss XR400's on my hardtail. Awesome wheels – and having broken two lighter sets of wheels I appreciate the reliability.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Unless you really want super-light wheels, then you can't really go wrong with Hope hubs on Mavis rims. 32 hole; easy spoke replacement, standard bits, reliable and not stupidly expensive.

Joxster
    Free Member

Mavic Cross thingys, Shimano XT or Crank Bros Iodines. I'm around 105kgs when loaded up and haven't trashed any of them.

Will you want to go tubeless? if so make sure what you buy is tubeless 'ready' not just 'compatible'

Northwind

Hope Hoops here as well, went with Flows which might be a bit much for your use for what you describe but they're not terribly heavy still.

I do love my Traversees, they're durable (though not invincible), XC light and trailbike strong, took a few trips down aonach mor to break mine and they trued up perfectly afterwards, lovely DT rear hub… But, comparing pricewise with the Hope equivalents they don't look like great value tbh.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buying new wheels today, but what ?’ is closed to new replies.