• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ef52.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Buying in the states
  • ef52
    Free Member

What’s the pro s and cons about buying a bike in America then bringing it back to the uk

scotroutes

You’ll have to pay duty (15% IIRC) and VAT (20%).

You’ll have no warranty.

You might save some money.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Handling charge on the tax collection too.

If you evade the tax stuff you can feel smug like Amazon & Starbucks?

ceepers

It’s probably a better deal if you rehysically going to the states yourself and can bring it back as a “used bike you already owned”

That way yo can just swa through customs like normal and avoid duty / VAT

Theoretically it could be sticky i you arestopped but realistically i’ve done it with 3 surfboards and mates have done it loads as well and no one has ever had a problem

tomaso
    Free Member

UPS (and possibly FED EX I think) take payment for taxes at your door with your card. Royal Fail keep hold of it for a week, send you a note and charge you a handling/storage fee and then release the bike and take an eternity to deliver it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i’ve done it with 3 surfboards and mates have done it loads as well and no one has ever had a problem

Yay boasts about tax evasion, cool!!

oliwb
    Free Member

Only worth it on large items if you will physically be visiting. Just make sure you don’t have the receipt on you etc when you come back in. Also, a wise idea to actually use it (scuff it up, make it a bit muddy) before shipping to back-up your it’s used story.

The premise behind it is that you don’t have to pay duty on something that you previously exported from the UK and therefore paid VAT on…..don’t be fooled into thinking it’s anything that’s used – this is not the case!

ceepers

i pay more tax than most people and considerably more than gary barlow it appears!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I bought an iPad for Mrs Wachowchow while I was in the US about three years ago. Once I got back I worked out how much I saved.
    It would have been £20 cheaper if I had bought in Blighty!
    I would have been more disappointed if I had made the trip specially, but I was out there anyway.

ef52
    Free Member

Every hard working law abiding tax payer pays more than Gary Barlow

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Buying in the states’ is closed to new replies.