Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Buying half links as a half link chain
  • FarmersChoice
    Free Member

This may be a silly question but bear with. Can half link chains be split to provide lots of half links for use individually on normal chains or do they fall apart when split?

I ask as individual half links are about £3 each whereas an entire chains worth is about £10 on CRC.

Cheers!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You only need one halflink though

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Yes I know, but I get through a chain every eight weeks on the commuter and each one needs a half link.

Works out a lot cheaper if I can split a half link chain down into 40 or so half links.

I don’t want to run a full half link chain as the two I have tried have had really noisy and rattly rollers.

andyl
    Free Member

when I bought a half link it came with a new jointing pin so I guess it depends if you can reuse the pins when you break the chain.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cant you just reuse the one half link you bought originally?

I dont think splitting down a half link chain would work. I mean they are 1/8th of an inch rather than the usually 7/8 speed width.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Half links tend to stretch significantly as the side plates are not flat – the bend tends to straighten out. So I’d rather replace it at the same time as the chain.

My commuter is single speed and runs an 1/8th inch single speed chain, not 7/8 speed.

Hence the requirement for some 1/8th inch half links.

fourbanger
    Free Member

A chain every 8 weeks! I think you should look at investing in some lube!

watsontony
    Free Member

chain every 8 weeks! I think you should look at investing in some lube!

he may work very very far away. i cant see how he uses a chain every 8 week either

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Oh lots of lube. Lots of mud and crap as well!

I’m also one hell of a torquey mofo.

8)

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Should also mention that I change my chain the second it gets to 1% stretch as I have snappage paranoia.

watsontony
    Free Member

my chain snapped last night. and the other week. and a couple week befor that. i MIGHT get a new chain soon rather than just keep “fixing it”

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’re mad.

I used a half link chain on my bmx, after about 2 weeks of riding it had streched alot (or bed in?)

I removed one or two links and carried on riding it for years after that and it was fine ever since.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Possibly, but I rely heavily on my commuter and don’t enjoy fixing chains in the wet, cold and dark – which I have found I no longer have to do if I change my chain frequently.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

where can you buy half link extenders/connectors ?

andyl
    Free Member

are you sure your chainrings and sprocket are in good condition if you are going through chains that quick?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Buying half links as a half link chain’ is closed to new replies.