Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • buying first Tablet – confused….
  • nbt

Thanks Mike !

JulianA
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

I had to nip into an Apple store last night. This is now the second time Ive played with an iPad mini.
    I do not need one
    I do NOT need one
    I DO NOT need one
    I DO NOT NEED ONE
    I DO NOT NEED ONE AND I WILL NOT BUY ONE

Ahh crap. Who am I kidding?

+1 (except it was the first time I saw one – last Saturday!)

firestarter
    Free Member

Can the nexus be plugged into an external hard drive ?

Cougar

I’d tried MX Player Pro – but that doesn’t work, or at least with the settings I’ve tried it doesn’t. It plays back smoothly but in slowmo and drops the sound till the video catches up.

There’s three different decoders in MX Player; S/w, H/w, and H/w+. It defaults to H/w+, and on my device at least it was choppy. Switching to H/w fixed it for me (Jim).

Can the nexus be plugged into an external hard drive ?

Yeah. You need a USB OTG (on the go) cable to allow the two to talk, though. Should set you back less than a fiver.

Ordinarily, USB works in a host/client manner; so for example when you plug a hard disk into a PC, the PC acts as host and so is the ‘clever’ side and tells the disk what to do. The tablet and disk are both ‘client’ devices by default, there’s no host, so the OTG cable tells the devices which side is going to take charge.

Cougar

Thus and so,

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers looking at getting the Mrs a nexus 7 seems to be winning at the min

Mackem

Our lass’ Nexus 7 arrived 2 days ago and it’s very nice. I think I’ll flog my 10″ tablet and e-reader and just get one of them to replace both.

kelvin

‘Droid still doesn’t feel ready for tablets yet to me. And I really want it to be.

jota180
    Free Member

‘Droid still doesn’t feel ready for tablets yet to me. And I really want it to be.

I know what you mean, there’s loads of dev going on and a lot of the apps aren’t optimized for tablets.
    I still like it but as with the phones, the constant updates are tiresome. I’ve switched updates off now.

nbt

what 10″ tablet and how much? I’ve been looking and at the moment the 7″ tablets look too small but the 10″ tablets are twice the price

jota180
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Galaxy Tab 8.9 as a compromise?
    Not sure what the best price on it is though

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Be aware now that the Nexus 7 32GB is out, don’t pay the same price for only 16GB.

Is 32GB sufficient or overkill?

Mackem

It’s a Sony S – I think it’s 32gb, certainly more than 16gb, the maths never add up when you look at the storage specs.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/sony-tablet-s-1030388/review

firestarter
    Free Member

I was originally looking at the kindle fire as I already have a kindle, but as I’ve an android phone and various google accounts and android has a kindle app and amazon app anyway the nexus seems the way to go. I’ll still probably use my kindle to read anyway as the eink doesn’t hurt your eyes.

I can use my phone as a hotspot too if needed seems to do all I want 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

I noticed that with the 16 and 32 gb being same price in local shop

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The 16GB is starting to have price cuts.

Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘buying first Tablet – confused….’ is closed to new replies.