Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Buying car – MOT but no Tax
  • Earl
    Free Member

Looking at a car this Sat afternoon. I assume I cant drive home it if it doesn't have any tax? Or is there some other short term solution that the DVLA have in place?

aracer
    Free Member

If it's got no tax you're not allowed to drive it – or even park it on the roads. No way round that one. Given widespread use of ANPR, probably not worth chancing it nowadays either.

hainey
    Free Member

Yes, get the seller to tax it for you then drive it off. If no insurance then you will need to get a cover note from your insurance company.

Earl
    Free Member

Grr… Thanks for the info.

AgentOrange
    Free Member

Temp Cover Insurance – From one day upwards is worth a look. Instant insurance, saves waiting for cover notes etc….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don't see how temp cover offers any benefits…but Shirley non-temporary insurance is required to tax the car?

uplink
    Free Member

Probably easier to get a local small garage to collect it for you
    cost me £35 [cash in hand] to do that a few weeks back
    You need to keep it off the road though until taxed

spooky_b329

You can send a good quality colour copy (or original if reputable seller) of your insurance certificate, and get the seller to tax on your behalf. Temporary insurance usually won't count for taxing, and usually there is a statement to that effect on the certificate itself.

cynic-al
    Free Member

When I did this I made teh seller wait until I had Ins Cert and tax.

nuke

We bought a car from a car supermarket and what they do is you get instant cover via some insurance company over the phone who fax the cover note to the car supermarket. They then can release the car and 'suggest' you drive to the nearest Post Office to get the tax…even gave us a map! We actually just drove home and went to our local Post Office.

aracer
    Free Member

'suggest' you drive to the nearest Post Office to get the tax…even gave us a map! We actually just drove home and went to our local Post Office.

Both of which are illegal (unless you drive to the post office in an old currently taxed car).

sslowpace
    Free Member

Get the seller to tax it. It's a good bargaining point as well.
    offer £500 less than you would for the inconvenience of sorting the tax, etc. 😈

john_drummer
    Free Member

assuming you're only going to "look at it" today rather than "buy" it today, If you like it, say you'll buy it but you want it taxed from Monday, and offer to pay the price of 6 months tax disc.

Is it a private seller or garage/dealer? If it's a dealer they can usually do the '7 day free insurance' thing & sort the tax out for you, then you go pick it up already taxed next Saturday. If it's private, well they'll still be insured on it in their own name, so not a problem
    DON'T let them tax it today, you'll lose 1 month's RFL

andrewh
    Free Member

Buy it then phone your local garage to book an MOT, you allowed to drive an untaxed car to a pre-booked test and nothing to stop you having an MOT test done a car which has still has a certificate. Whether or not you turn up to that to the test is none of the DVLA's business, maybe everything felt fine on the way there and you decided not to bother…

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting idea – the trouble being that you're only allowed to drive to and from the test, not book a test and then drive the car home from where you've bought it without going to the test. If you got caught on ANPR then I don't suppose they'd be very impressed if you claimed you were driving to and from a test which you didn't actually turn up for – particularly given no normal sane person would have an MOT done on a car which still had months to run on the current one. Would be pretty obvious you were trying to cheat the system, not something which goes down well!

uplink
    Free Member

given no normal sane person would have an MOT done on a car which still had months to run on the current one.

now I've certainly done that before [in order to make it a better proposition for buyers]

mind you, I may not be sane 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I obviously should have qualified that "no normal sane person who's just bought a car and isn't a car dealer"

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Buying car – MOT but no Tax’ is closed to new replies.