Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Buying an Xbox One, a few questions…..
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Finally getting round to trading my Xbox in for an Xbox One, well pushed a bit after F1 not being released on the old Xbox and I’ve a few questions for the STW gaming experts.

Is it worth going for a 1tb over the 500gb?

Is it worth buying one with Kinect? (Kids have the wii etc which never gets used, only I will only use the Xbox for driving/shoot em ups etc).

Can I use my existing Gold membership from the Xbox on the One? (I can see I can shift my profile over but can’t find any info re Gold).

Anything else I should pick up at the same time (apart from a PS4, no tar)!

Cheers.

seavers
    Free Member

Membership is the same XBox Live whatever the machine.

500GB will fill up fast especially if you have more on there than games. However you can attach an external if you wish. Loads of threads on line about what you can fit on so pretty easy to weigh up.

I have never had Kinect but don’t play the games that would use it. No kids though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Is it not worth waiting for the newer version that will play the older 360 games, or is that already out?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks!

Isn’t playing the older games a goer due to a future software update?

Cougar

Can I use my existing Gold membership from the Xbox on the One?

It’s valid for both simultaneously.

Is it not worth waiting for the newer version that will play the older 360 games, or is that already out?

That’s a software update, not a new box.

patriot_matt
    Free Member

Backwards compatibility is here already with the amount of games growing all the time. And you can play multiplayer across both consoles.

Go for the 1TB as you’ll soon be recording loads of clips and trying demos etc.

I have the Day One edition and have never plugged the Kinect in, many OS upgrades since and all the voice commands can be done quickly using the controller instead. Controller is brilliant by BTW.

seavers
    Free Member

I think the new 1TB model has an improved controller. But the backwards compatibility is an update.

seavers
    Free Member

On the subject of updates. The Xbone seems to update a lot. As do games.

Maybe if you opt to leave it on all the time these can happen in the background but mine gets switched off. I don’t game all that much. It seems every time I turn it on I have to wait for it to update something before I can get playing. Its a little bit frustrating.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I read about the backwards compatibility a while back but clearly didn’t read it properly. Has that update happened yet? Seriously considering one as soon as it does….

seavers
    Free Member
    GTDave
    Free Member

You will be surprised how quickly the 1tb drive can be filled.
    We plumped for the 500gb console and hooked up an external 3tb USB3 drive.
    Faster than the internal Xbox drive too, which is nice.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Actually excited now! 1tb, ignore kinetic, sign in with current profile it is then.

Thanks everyone.

Cougar

WRT the Kinekt, if you decide later that you want one they can be had from places like Cex for about £50, which is comparable or cheaper than buying one new with a bundle.

seavers
    Free Member

OK, so the OP is happy. 🙂 Can anyone answer this. If I delete a game I have been playing from the 500GB HD does my game data go too?

Like BF4 for instance, played online and off line.

Cougar

No. At least, not on the 360, can’t imagine why the One would be any different. (Doesn’t the One save to the cloud by default rather than locally anyway?)

Purchases are tied to your account too, so if you delete something you’ve bought you can just re-download it later. It’s all quite sensible.

Drac

The 1TB Halo Edition is on Amazon’s prime day say for £299.

Smudger666

The back catalogue currently available is VERY limited. The games that are on it are ‘indie type’ and one or two somewhat obscure bugger releases.

If you delete a game to free up space, you can generally retain the ‘save game’ data but it depends on the game – some give the option to delete all only. Having said that, I can’t remember which ones as threes been so few releases so far that I’ve bought.

Looking forward to R6, Star Wars and world of tanks.

Cougar

Rise of the Tomb Raider will be what tips me to jump I think. Loved the first one.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Tomb Raider helped swing it for me too, used to love playing that.

Can’t remember which version of Tomb Raider it was but sure it was on PS2, nothing has still ever made me jump as much as it did. Going into a dark room to wind a pulley down when a bloke wearing a grass skirt burst out of nowhere screaming at top note after 5 minutes of silence.

Stopped playing it with the surround sound at full blast after that.

wilko1999
    Free Member

The Witcher 3 finally sold the Xbox One to me. Played it on and off for about a month, but in the end it just overwhelmed me with the amount of stuff to do and although a superb game with an amazing game world, I just didn’t find it that much fun to play. Now I’m hooked on Forza Horizon 2, awesome game

funkweasel
    Free Member

Definitely get theh 1TB one. I’ve almost filled my 500GB one with not a lot – I can always uninstall things I’m not currently playing, or redownload them, but that’s not always for everyone.
    As said – just get a 2nd hand Kinect from CEX for about £50. Think I paid £55 for mine from there. It’s useful for the voice commands if you’re feeling exceptionally lazy and it’s dead easy to set up with your A/V stuff/TV.

I didn’t think I needed it, but now I have it, I use it all the time. It works 85% of the time, first go 😉

Cougar

Can’t remember which version of Tomb Raider it was but sure it was on PS2

The reboot is awesome. Probably the second best title I have on the 360. Well worth getting if you’ve not played it, should be able to pick it up for not much these days.

Cougar

The 1TB Halo Edition is on Amazon’s prime day say for £299.

It’s on outside of the sale for £329 with a second controller and that Halo master thief whatsit.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

It’s now sat in the car, desperate to get home and get it set up.

Cougar

Happy new Xbox. What did you get in the end?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks!

1tb One less kinetic, F1 2015, COD and Despicable Me 2 free on blu ray. Going to pick up American Sniper on the way home too.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Buying an Xbox One, a few questions…..’ is closed to new replies.