Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Buying advice – Desktop PC
  • mactheknife

Im looking at getting a new Desktop PC for my lad. Dropped his laptop so not giving him that option again.

He does a fair bit of graphic design ut not wanting to go down the Mac route yet. It must have a Wifi capability as there is no wiring in his room.

Apart from that it will be just for general usage.

Its important i get good after sales service if anything goes wrong.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Oh no need for monitor as it will link into his tv. 😀

mactheknife

nobody??

druidh
    Free Member

Can’t see past Dell myself. Every time I’ve dealt with them, the service and after-sales has been great.

leffeboy

FWIW I avoid Dell now as I find them too noisy (haven’t bought any for years now so may no longer be true). Preference these days are Fujitsu machines. You would need to give an idea of how much you were prepared to spend before you can get much more advice probably

mactheknife

Spend wise around the 400 quid mark, i know that will not get me anything amazing but its for a 14 year old lad who is so careless its unbelievable 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

I’m assuming you’d rather buy off the shelf rather than custom spec by the tone of your post. So…

Any of the big’s will be ok (Dell, HP etc), but you’ll want a Quad Core processor (Core i5 or i7) and minimum 4GB of RAM (with 64 bit OS) if he’s doing any semi serious graphics work. A dedicated graphics card will also be very useful.

Wifi compatibility isn’t an issue, as if it doesn’t come with it, it’ll only cost £10 for a wifi pci card or USB dongle.

mactheknife

Cheers for that, the reason im going the desktop route is he seems very serious and dedicated when it comes to graphic design but the wee bugger has butter fingers when it comes to laptops so im not making that mistake again.

Any recommendations re. companies to buy from or just have a search on google for the best deals.

Thanks again 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Buying advice – Desktop PC’ is closed to new replies.