Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Buying a very non-local car – what should I be thinking about?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve found a car I like …. but it’s in Northern Ireland!
    Privately owned, right milage/condition/age/price combination (apparently NI cars are cheaper than UK for some reason), full dealer history, new tyres/pads brakes all round and 6 months manufacturer warranty left.
    DVLA site says you can move cars freely between NI & mainland but as the plate is a NI one I would prob re-register it at some point (£80 cost).

So as far as I can see this is no different to me buying from someone in the south (I’m NW), I just need to add £40 flight to Belfast and £175 ferry trip back into my calculations. Am I missing something?

jambourgie
    Free Member

I guess if the seller knows you’ve come a fair way, you’ll lose a bit of haggling leverage. Out of curiosity, why would you re-register it?

jimjam
    Free Member

In my experience cars are much more expensive here. At least all of the ones I’ve ever bothered to price. I know a few people who regularly bought cars in Scotland to sell in NI for a tidy profit. Perhaps you could find a mechanic based in Northern Ireland and pay him to go and inspect the car for you, save you a wasted trip if something is amiss?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Current owner has a new car arriving for the wife next thursday – it’s ‘not a cheap car’ (otherwise I’d find one nearer) so I think that’s in my favour. Maybe he’s taken this into account already and reduced the price but I’d be needing a bit more off to extend the warranty on it.

The only reason to re-register it is to get a UK plate rather than a NI one – that said a NI plate is effectively a personal one over here!

fasthaggis
    sharkbait
    Free Member

Aw crap…. sold within a day 🙁

renton
    Free Member

Fasthaggis…. Got my money back thanks but nice one for dragging it up again

jambourgie
    Free Member

The only reason to re-register it is to get a UK plate rather than a NI one – that said a NI plate is effectively a personal one over here!

Why though? Just curious. In case I ever buy a NI motor myself. I mean, is there a difference? I don’t know.

sharkbait
    Free Member

NI plate is not the same as a mainland plate as far as I’m aware i.e. JWT7876 (or at least it was on this car).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Buying a very non-local car – what should I be thinking about?’ is closed to new replies.