Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Buying a used car with a tow bar fitted?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Would it ring alarm bells? Mazda 6 estate. Clutch would be my main worry if its been dragging round some bloody big caravan. I want the bar for a bike rack so saves me a couple hundred quid probably.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Piston rings would be my worry if its been hauling round a big caravan

Realistically your average clutch dragging oap ( my grandparents included) will do morecdamage to yer clutch . Caravan owning oaps – world of hurt 🙂

bruneep

I had towbars on my last 2 cars neither were used for towing. Just for bike rack.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I bought a Mondeo off a guy who had a caravan. Bought at 38k miles, now £100k and no problems at all

Bregante

I think I’d be wary if it were a trade sale with a towbar fitted as you have way of knowing what it’s been pulling. Obviously witha private seller you have a better chance of establishing what it’s being used for. I have a towbar which is mainly for a bike rack and two or three trips a year pulling a small trailer. If they have a dirty great big caravan on the drve you can walk away.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Beware if they all have caravans…. went to look at a van at a lovely caravan park near warrington, nearly smoked the tyres getting out fast

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s ex lease. Ticks every box as I want the tow bar but just thought I’d ask.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ticks every box

Probably what the guy who leased it (or arranged the lease) did

crazybaboon

Last 4 cars had tow bars fitted, only ever had bike racks on, unless there’s a caravan sat on the drive I won’t worry.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I specifically LOOK for a towbar on cars I look at, as I don’t want to pay £250 to get one fitted!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Mazda 6 estate. Clutch would be my main worry if its been dragging round some bloody big caravan.

covered in GB stickers? Sweeties and sick down the back seats? Then it’s a long haul euro cruiser. Avoid

There’s every chance that 99% of it’s miles have been done without a caravan though look for wear on the tow ball, does the flap on the electic hookup open easily?

I want the bar for a bike rack so saves me a couple hundred quid probably.

Subject to a little bit of detective work this probably outweighs the downsides.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As said its ex lease so when it’s pulled in its probably had all those kind of things sorted before handing back or they’d be getting a hefty bill.

DickBarton

Bought at 38k miles, now £100k and no problems at all

I’d hope so after spending that amount!!! 😉

fivespot
    Free Member

I recently had a tow bar fitted by an independent mobile fitter, he said his main work was removing tow bars for car dealers 😯

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I’m looking at a 6 too, 2.5 sport hatchback, incredibly good value

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s bought!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

As said its ex lease so when it’s pulled in its probably had all those kind of things sorted before handing back or they’d be getting a hefty bill.

I bet the valeters saw little or nothing out of that hefty bill, judging by the state some lease cars are in after auction, the only clean ones are where the fees are so severe they keep the drivers in a state of dirt paranoia throughout the term.

takisawa2

If its got the second grey socket also then its a fair bet, bit harder to tell with the new Euro socket. It really wouldnt bother me. Modern diesels are well up to the job.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Buying a used car with a tow bar fitted?’ is closed to new replies.