Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Buying a used car from a main dealer
  • hora
    Free Member

I read that as paranoid sunroof. Tbh ironic as those types do make you paranoid of sttay stone strikes etc from lorries

br
    Free Member

Had many cars with cruise, never used it in UK. Roads too busy.

oe you don’t know how to drive…

hammyuk
    Free Member

You need a nice Caddy Maxi Life onzadog…….

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s for the wife’s commute and she’s read that the caddy has a harsh ride due to leaf spring rear end. Plus, they attract quite a premium which we’re not really willing to pay.

We might even have to go and look at a zafira.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Can honestly say they aren’t harsh at all.
    As an empty van they might be – but then so is any van. With seven seats and a parcel shelf there’s no real difference to my A3.
    Can’t comment on the “vw premium” – I know I priced mine below the market as its sat here doing nothing so a waste of a perfectly good car.

duir
    Free Member

I recently bought an 8 year old Honda accord off a main dealer and couldn’t get him to budge on price so paid full whack. It came with 12 month warranty and they did around £500 of work on it I asked for. It also came with full dealer service history and tank of diesel. On the drive home I found a few minor snags and a slipping clutch. The dealer fixed the snags and put a new clutch in no questions asked and without using the warranty.

So in summary even though I paid top whack It was money well spent. I saw an identical model in a private dealer for £500 more and he wouldn’t move on price either but I bet he wouldn’t have put a new clutch in. So even if they can’t do much on price it may still be worth it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Onza Caddy – rent one (I did that) or try and get an extended test drive. As I’ve posted before I’m a big fan of older Rav4’s where you can remove the rear seats making it van like, Toyota reliability, 4×4 and drives much better than a van imho. Should never have sold ours and I’m thinking of another

jambalaya
    Free Member

Disagree Jamba – I use those exact roads all the time and cruise is always on.

Middle lane set to 55 ? 😉

spooky_b329

The the only way I’ve managed to get a discount with main dealers is to view the car, have a drive, sit down to seal the deal and when the haggling is limited to a set of floor mats/tank of fuel, get cold feet and say we are going off to think about it. This was after getting a bit stubborn when they wanted to charge us full RRP for a missing parcel shelf.

We said we’d ring before they closed 30 minutes later if we wanted to put a deposit down, but sod that, we got in the old car and drove off. Deliberately didn’t ring them before closing time, 10 minutes later the salesman was ringing us and suddenly the price had some movement in it, and they’d found a parcel shelf (i.e when we picked the car up, we waited whilst they nicked a shelf out of another car on the forecourt)

Still had to remind them about the fuel when we picked it up.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

I bought a £12K Merc ML320 from Main dealer back in October. They wouldn’t move on the price but they did advise me of that over the phone before I travelled to see it. They did however, say it would be mint upon collection. They weren’t kidding.
    Any chips and marks were repaired. Flawlessly. All four wheels refurbished. New tyres on the front plus another £1500s worth of bits on the service invoice before it was released. And a year’s Mercedes warranty.
    Even though there were cars with £90k in the showroom, I was treated like Royalty throughout. I had a five hour drive home after picking the car up and I had phone all from them to see if I’d made it home safely.
    I’ll be going back to replace our other car there later this year.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Buying a used car from a main dealer’ is closed to new replies.