Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Buying a used Brompton – what to check?
  • geoffj

I’m looking at a used Brompton later today – 3 speed version.
    Apart from general wear and tear and play in the hinges, are there any specific bits I should check – known stress points etc?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Proof of original purchase.

geoffj

Proof of original purchase.

Depending on which area of Edinburgh the bike is, that’ll be the first thing I look at.

finbar
    Free Member

Cables are a pain to change, so bear that in mind.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Aside from what’s been said above

Check rims for wear as a you don’t want to be shelling out for new rims/wheels unless the purchase price is appropriately adjusted

Budget for a set of Marathon Plus tyres unless they are already fitted

Rear swing hinge can wear quite a bit and it’s not a straight forward job to replace (well it is if you have the tools, but they are somewhat spendy!). A decent Brompton dealer will be able to replace the bushings, etc. at a reasonable cost

project
    Free Member

Look in mirror andf check you have that superior Brompton face, the face that all Brompton riders seem to have, so pleased with themslves they are.

tobsters
    Free Member

+1 for play in rear triangle pivot. I seem to remember it being £80 ish to replace my pivot bushings.

I would check secondhand prices against the benefits of buying new quite carefully, as secondhand Bromptons do seem very expensive, and I was staggered how much I got for my 6 speed when I sold it (didn’t think it was worth that much).

Lovely little bikes though – huge fun in the city!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Buying a used Brompton – what to check?’ is closed to new replies.