• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Legs.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Buying a Tailored suit in SE Asia
  • Legs
    Free Member

I’m quitting my job and off travelling for a few months to SE Asia.

I’d like to pick up a tailored suit whilst i’m out there as i could never afford to get a nice one done in the UK.

We’ll be passing through Singapore/Bangkok/Vietnam & flying home from Hong Kong, so plenty of options for where to get one.

Has anyone else done this? Any tips on where might work out cheapest or best quality – or even better, names of specific shops – would be much appreciated!

29erKeith
    Free Member

I Had a Tux made a few months ago here Yaly Couture in Hoi An, Vietnam
    All done over night then a few final adjustments the following day.
    Only been back on the UK a week now but wore it on the weekend.

They’re not the cheapest in Hoi An but are apparently the best.
    They take loads of measurements which all get uploaded onto their system with several photos, so if you want to order more once your home they can happily oblige.

I was very pleased with what I got, my wife got a couple of dresses made too and a jacket and……

harryparabolics
    Free Member

I just got back from Vietnam – I had a suit, two jackets and two pairs of trousers made by Yaly in Hoi An. They were really good – good quality stuff, and pretty good attention to detail. They’re a bit more expensive, but you know what you’re getting.

Legs
    Free Member

Two name-drops for the same place is promising – thanks chaps!

gingerflash

Anyone remember the episode of MASH when BJ got a suit made while on leave – the pinstripes were horizontal….

🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Just watch that you get someone decent (hopefully as recommended above) – have had friends come back with suits that looked great at first but started to fall apart (literally!) after being worn twice, having just gone to whereever shouted loudest for his business.

simon_g

A friend recommended http://www.pinkytailor.com/ for when I pass through Bangkok – rubbish website, good tailor.

Will you be staying in one place for long enough to go through the process? Usually it’s initial measurements in one visit, then a fitting and likely a second fitting (even more if you have time) to get it spot on. Obviously there will be some time between these.

Have a look around at suits before you leave and get a feel for what you want – if you can take along pics of what you want, all the better. Think about things like lapel shapes, rear vents, jacket/trouser pocket types, pleating, etc.

http://www.asuitthatfits.com has a wizard with lots of options that will give you some ideas.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Don’t see why not…

davedodd
    Free Member

I have 3 suits from Romeo & Juliet in Bangkok which are all great and lasting very well. Fitting process is very thorough, and on the last visit I got two cashmere suits, with silk lining, fully tailored, plus a spare pair of trousers for each suit, and a couple of tailored shirts for B12,000, which was about £210.

I’d recommend them. They’re near the Indra Regent Hotel.

Dave

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

However, if you are getting the suit fitted on the way back, remember that you will probably have lost a fair bit of weight on the way round. When your England shape comes back, your suit might be tight

BillMC

Get measured up soon after arrival. I had one made in India after I’d been there a while (having had Delhi belly, not much beer, hot weather etc). Three weeks after getting back I’d ‘outgrown’ it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Also choose a colour, before you go. Make sure you stick to it!. Colours that look a little bit cool or funky out there are very seductive, until you unpack

tails
    Free Member

I’m quitting my job and off travelling for a few months to SE Asia.

yay to quitting jobs!!! Plus that suit will come in handy on your return!! Hope you have fun, one day I’ll grow a pair and **** off around the world.

Xylene
    Free Member

Suits in Bangkok are a bit crap, a few good tailors but hard to find.

Had some nice suits made in Hong Kong, South Korea and Singapore. Never tried Vietnam.
    Had some nice shoes made in Bangkok though.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Vietnam, seems fine, so long you want black

Legs
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips chaps, most helpful.

I am a little concerned about being a bit light of my ‘english weight’ by the time i get measured & fitted, as we’ll have been out for a good few weeks before reaching any of the places mentioned above. Still, not much I can do about that i guess!

The other thing is that we’re flying back from Hong Kong. So if i get a suit made in Bangkok or Vietnam i’ll probably end up having to post it home (as opposed to carrying it round in a sweaty backpack).
    With that in mind, can anyone recommend a specific tailor in HK? I’m wondering if it might be easier to pay a little more and just take it on the plane at the end of the trip?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Buying a Tailored suit in SE Asia’ is closed to new replies.