Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Buying a new house
  • JCornford

I'm looking at getting onto the property market (it seems the right time down here), but my money does not stretch a long way, so ideally I am looking into a house that at some point could be improved, so that I can make a bit of money when I sell it on. I've just looked at a nice house that would be suitable for me now (needs new bathroom and kitchen etc but that's ok) and the seller said how other people in the road had converted the attic into a "usable space" with access onto the (Flat) bathroom roof and turned that into a sun terrace. This sounds quite appealing to me, but I was just wondering how I would go about finding out how feasible this would be, i.e. would I get permission etc. Also if I could only get palling permission to turn it into a useable space (with windows etc), is there anything stopping me from making it into a bedroom?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I don't know much but you do have to be really careful on building regs! Things about doors, bathrooms etc. I'm sure there is loads of knowledge on this site who can help you with that.

Sorry not much help really was I!!!?????

woffle
    Free Member

there are a fair few regulations – when you're adding a 'bedroom' there have to be adequate fire doors / fire escape routes etc and there are some head-room requirements (there has to be a certain amount of clearance from the top step). I think you can get round some of this by not designating it a bedroom but it's not as simple as just boarding it out and adding a Velux if you want to do it in anyway properly. Depended upon the house you may have to start thinking about strengthening ceiling/floor joists, you'll need too look at the construction of the roof itself etc etc.

It'd be worth checking out your local council website planning department for plans / applications from anyone else down your road. We found out a fair bit when we bought our current semi as the opposite end of the terrace had extended and this gave us a real idea of what would be possible. It may be that the council planning department are also worth a phone-call to see what they think. A chat with a decent local builder should give you an idea of costs and similar projects…

There's a plethora of stuff available on the web about this

ianpinder
    Free Member

another thing you can do is just go and ask the neighbours, some people are suprisingly welcoming

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Buying a new house’ is closed to new replies.