Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • buying a new bike
  • hainman
    Free Member

Im looking at buying the giant reign 2,seen it local in dales in glasgow at 2k,do you think that if i walked in with £1700 cash they would sell me the bike for that amount???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the best people to ask are……

dannybgoode

Do you need shoes, pedals, helmet, clothing etc or just the bike. You could perhaps structure a deal accordingly if you do if they won’t drop to £1700 for the bike.

If you have all the gear then its a case on if you don’t ask etc…

Cheers

Danny B

hainman
    Free Member

the bike shop people….just curious what peoples thoughts are on my chances as im shit at haggling

hainman
    Free Member

cheers Danny B i have most of my gear so just basically looking for the bike…suppose i’ll find out tomorrow…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dunno, try £1500 plus your xbox and a few games?

hainman
    Free Member

haha i have ps3 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there are too many variables, how many they have in stock, what price paid, how much interest etc. Is the display bike a good sales tool when do the new ones come in, what is Giants stock level….

Just need to make them an offer and see where it goes, if not save some more or trawl the internet for one cheaper

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It seems most of the online ones are all £2k. I reckon you should sell your PS3 😉

iainc

You could always post this link onto their Facebook page to warm them up for tomorrow 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Ask nicely, no harm in trying.

nikk
    Free Member

You are going to walk round Glasgow with 1.7k in your pocket?

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Haggle, all they can do is say no. I even haggled when buying a rear light and got a free water bottle. I always ask, much to the annoyance of my wife, and probably the shop staff! If they say nothin ask what they can throw in for free, check out first what else you could add on first.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Not so much haggle but you can ask how much discount is there as well?

hainman
    Free Member

haha iainc it looks like i need all the help i can get,not looking like anyone fancies my chances….i might actually send a wee pm to them,test the water…

andrewh
    Free Member

Go about it properly. Go in, look at it, talk to them, test ride if you can, generally make sure it’s definately right for you and look like you serious about buying it (if you still are after that)
    When it comes to the crunch go with the “it’s very nice, but a little over my budget, I had hoped for something about £1,500, but I could possibly stretch to £1,700 for one of these?” That line usually works for me.
    I managed to get a discount on some geabox oil without even trying, asked for a bottle, he gave me one and said “that’s £22 please”. I said “really?” (it was quite a small bottle) and got my card out ready to give him £22, he said “hold on” and typed at his computer, then said “£17.50 is the best it will let me do” so I gave him £17.50 for it.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well?????

hainman
    Free Member

no discount for cash but did send me a 10% off code so takes it to 1800 but not offering heehaw extra,im going backin in the morning to get a wee play on it and make my decision,
    Although i have seen a nice 2nd hand zesty 314 2012 maodel,black and gold for 1500 which is pretty tasty,only problem is forks are qr but not sure if that would make to much difference

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

£200 off is a good start. Now haggle for free accessories I reckon.

hainman
    Free Member

i will try,so you reckon the giant is the worthy winner??

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I ride a Trance X and love it. The Reign looks awesome.

If you get the Zesty I reckon you will upgrade the fork to a Maxle so just get the Giant in the first place.

Just my 2 pence worth.

hainman
    Free Member

Thanks moseyMTB…. 😆

khani
    Free Member

How much is a warranty worth to you? You won’t get one with a second hand one..

hainman
    Free Member

Khani a warranty is major and peace of mind is it not,why buy a bike at 1500 and have no come back if and when it goes t*** up..
    Plus as someone has told me,there could be anything lurking waiting to go wrong on the 2nd hand bike,and I’M left out of pocket to fix it,(if its even fixable)

khani
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking, good warranty on Giants as well if you’re the original owner.
    Nowt like peace of mind…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘buying a new bike’ is closed to new replies.