Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Buying a house for cash (and no chain) – what kind of discount?
  • suburbanreuben
    Free Member

what would matter to me is lack of chain and ease of sale.

Which is where being a cash buyer comes in handy…

trail_rat
    Free Member

meanwhile a house i offered on and missed out on by over 80k(nearly 50% more than asking) )…. is still on the market – seller got greedy and sold it to cash buyer developers who only wanted the land….. but only IF and WHEN the land around it was designated commerical…..

Never happened – so they strung the seller(probate) along for nearly 2 years with the lure of this extra 80k over value .meanwhile the house was falling into further and further disrepair…. and the pikeys seem to have moved into the garden….

Still hasnt sold- ive been in my place for 5 years now -sometimes you look back and think – these things happen for a reason.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Someone paying ‘cash’ or cash through a mortgage would make no odds to me. The ‘no chain’ and ready to buy bit is the most important part, but if you have a mortgage in place that covers the 2nd bit anyway.

It’s money in the bank from the solicitor, whether that comes from cash or a mortgage would mean nothing to me.

So to answer your question you would get zero discount from me.

sharkbait
    Free Member

No more so than someone who already had sold their house/first time buyer and had their mortgage ready to go – they’re all ‘cash’ buyers.

Dickyboy

Fingers crossed the OP got a deal 11 months ago

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

No more so than someone who already had sold their house/first time buyer and had their mortgage ready to go – they’re all ‘cash’ buyers.

No.
    If a mortgage is required, whether agreed in principal or not, then a whole new set of requirements has to be satisfied.
    A cash buyer, to me, is a buyer who is free, and able, to buy without consulting any other party. Needing a mortgage obviously rules this out.

I’d choose someone with cash in the bank over someone with a MIP anyday. I’m not saying I’d give them a discount though…

trail_rat
    Free Member

dickyboy , the marketcrash is imminent dont you know….

mudshark
    Free Member

Surely a cash buyer is only a cash buyer if has nothing to sell? Mortgage aspect is less important – as long as they can prove then can get one in principle.

aracer
    Free Member

Greedy and/or bad legal advice.

Currently selling mums house to a cash buyer developer – selling to best offer which is partly conditional on planning, but getting money up front for the non-conditional bit and have a solicitor making the contract watertight for the other bit (quite confident of getting planning and the conditional extra money is more than enough to make the hassle worth it). In that case a real cash buyer with no mortgage is the only option, as I don’t think it would be possible to get a mortgage on it in its current state – at least not for anywhere near what it’s selling for, given traditional London commuter belt making a house needing complete renovation still worth silly money (round here, which isn’t even the big bad North, something similar size but in good condition and fully modernised would be only just over half the price).

trail_rat
    Free Member

or overconfident that what was expected to happen would happen.

i was offering on it speculatively also as i expected it would be converted to commercial. id love neighbours who were out at all the times i am in…. and in at all the times when im out…..

DrJ

Mortgage aspect is less important – as long as they can prove then can get one in principle.

As has been said, there’s a difference between someone having a mortgage in principle and having a load of mortgage money in their (solicitor’s) bank account en route to your bank account and not held up by “unexpected problems” or being spent on another property that popped up on the market in the meantime.

lesgrandepotato

Cash helps, being proceedable (i.e. not in a chain helps),
    Not being a dick helps, people like to deal with people.

All of these things help to get the deal you want, needs to be win win, not out and out combat 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

there’s a difference between someone having a mortgage in principle and having a load of mortgage money in their (solicitor’s) bank account

Yeah but what would you rather have? A buyer with nothing to sell or a buyer with a chain but no need for a mortgage? Once buyer, who comes across well, who has nothing to sell has invested in a survey they’re a good bet IMO and better than one with a chain.

DrJ

That’s another question. My response assumed other things are equal.

Edukator
    Free Member

I paid the asking price. I wanted the house, knew it was fairly priced and knew that others were interested. While they were talking to their banks I produced some bank statements and signed. I put a couple of conditions in the initial contract – termites or “urbanisation” issues as there was no time for surveys between viewing and contract signing.

granny_ring

Yes OP, what happened?

DrJ

In France? Things work different there! To buy a flat in Paris you more or less have to go to a viewing with the cash in your pocket!

Edukator
    Free Member

In France, yes. But I think the same applies anywhere. If you think it’s a good deal then others will too so best get your signature on a piece of paper before someone else does. We’re not in Paris but a desirable part of Pau. Our neighbour sold her house in a week.

DrJ

Aaah Pau – know it well, from work visits. Always came home several kg heavier after expenses dinners at Le Berri 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

Do you know Bill and Anne Page?

The Berry has moved and now resembles a milk bar, however the food is still good, so I’ve heard, I’ve never eaten there.

ourmaninthenorth

“Yah, we’ve just sold our bedsit in [insert not-yet-gentrified area] in London and we’d like to buy your…. Sorry, I didn’t quite hear that….”

“I said **** off you townie bastards!”

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Buying a house for cash (and no chain) – what kind of discount?’ is closed to new replies.