Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • buying a business – how to finance?
  • Steelsreal

So the wife has found a small business she would like to buy approx £20k. trouble is we have precious littlein the way of savings, so short of being told i can't afford it, are there any other options?

If we can raise £5k how can we find the rest? All my ggogle searches just seem to lead me to people wanting me to join their service or get a loan from them, and a lot of them don't seem too genuine.

Going to go and see the bank but thought somone on here might have some experience of grants, best places for loand etc.

HAve equity in my house that could cover it too….

wwaswas

don't put your house as collatoral (sp?) for any loan related to the business.

I've seen too many people lose their homes as soon as their business goes under.

thehustler
    Free Member

Part bank loan, part vendor loan maybe (vendor loan is where you pay the current owners back over a period of time)

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Write a really good business plan, take it to a bank manager, make him believe in the business, really sell it to him and plan an exit strategy. He will want to know how he is going to get his money back should the business not go according to plan.

Do this in a few banks, dropping hints that XXX bank is very interested, but wondering if you could do a better deal. Play them off against each other…they'll be fighting to give you the money!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

small firms loan guarantee…..i bought a bike shop and borrowed the max £30k…banks love it cos its no risk to them.wear a suit and have a business plan

also vendor financing where the person selling you the business lends you some of the value and then you pay them back(very tax efficient for them!)

i bought a business for £70k and only borrowed 10k personally..and dont give up! 3 banks messed me about and the 4th said yes…hsbc

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘buying a business – how to finance?’ is closed to new replies.