Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Buying a bit of land (Scotland)
  • jim1970

We’ve found a small plot of land in the NW of Scotland (currently live if Fife) which we’d like to buy, build and move to in a a few years time.

We found out who owns the land through a land registry search but they bought it in 1989 and haven’t done anything with it since then. We have their address from 1989 but an electoral roll search, to see if they still live there, doesn’t show them as living at that address anymore (no surprise since the address was from 28 years ago).

Anyone have any experience of what to do next?

scotroutes

Ask around locally.

The current owners may have removed themselves from the public version of the electoral role.

Check out Andy Wightmans site http://www.whoownsscotland.org.uk/ if it’s part of a larger estate.

I’d investigate planning permission before getting involved in any purchases.

stevie750

I’d investigate planning permission before getting involved in any purchases.

+1
    This might be why the current owners haven’t done anything with the land

geoffj

If there’s a house on the land (unsure from your op), and it is rented out, then it should be registered on the landlord register with contact details for the landlord.

thegreatape
    Free Member

And there is potential that it is croft land which, if it is, brings a whole new level of bureaucratic frustration and inefficiency to the situation.

jim1970

Thanks for the replies. It is a bit of ex croft land but all the other bits of croft land around it have been decrofted and have had houses built. It is just land only at the moment.

The folks who bought it 28 years ago were from Northampton in England. No one local seems to know anything about them, even the guy who sold it to them (who we spoke to).

We would definitely investigate planning if we can ever find them. They could even be dead since it was 28 years go. Bit morbid but possible.

geoffj

Registers of Scotland also hold a crofting register on behalf of the Crofting Commission. It might be worth a search on there too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stick a shed on it, wait 4 years, hey Presto, free land!

bigwill
    Free Member

Stick a shed on it, wait 4 years, hey Presto, free land!

if only it was that simple. Adverse possession requires 10 years and you need to actively do something/ live / use the land not just build a hut and pootle off to southern uk and come back to find your name on the title deed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Slightly tongue in cheek, bigwill…..

maccruiskeen

if only it was that simple. Adverse possession requires 10 years and you need to actively do something/ live / use the land not just build a hut and pootle off to southern uk and come back to find your name on the title deed.

What Nobeer doesn’t realise is the shed in his back garden isn’t his. Its an exact replica that belongs to me and I put it there on there at 2 minutes past midnight on 20 October 2007.

Not long now!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol, my shed is a ww2 bomb shelter, you’re a bit older than you’re letting on Mac! :mrgreen:

maccruiskeen

Lol, my shed is a ww2 bomb shelter,

No its not -what you think is your shed its a perfect replica of a ww2 bomb shelter. I do this for a living remember.

Your bomb shelter is in the southern UK somewhere (if forget where). Probably worth a fortune there now I think about it. This maybe wasn’t as clever a rouse as I first thought.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

epicyclo

bigwill – Member
    …if only it was that simple. Adverse possession requires 10 years and you need to actively do something/ live / use the land not just build a hut and pootle off to southern uk and come back to find your name on the title deed.

No adverse possession in Scotland if I remember right.

Spin
    Free Member

all the other bits of croft land around it have been decrofted

I like to imagine that this requires a ceremony involving a priest and/or a goat.

It’s probably not as exciting as that though.

maccruiskeen

I like to imagine that this requires a ceremony involving a priest and/or a goat.

there’ll be no dancing

maccruiskeen

No adverse possession in Scotland if I remember right.

Now I feel doubly stupid. You win this one Nobeer.

honeybadgerx

there’ll be no dancing

Just beastiality then?

epicyclo

Spin – Member
    ‘all the other bits of croft land around it have been decrofted’

It’s probably not as exciting as that though.

My wife is a lawyer and does crofting law purchases and sales from time to time.

From what’s she said, I think she’d be delighted with a simple process like that. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Buying a bit of land (Scotland)’ is closed to new replies.