Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Buying a 2nd hand car worth £5000 – HPI check?
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

As titled, I want to make sure I spend wisely. Is the HPI a sensible bet (I think so…) and do you have any essensial tips for a guy buying something this valuable for the first time? I'm pretty knowlegable where cars are concerned, but lacking in the experience that an older bloke would have!

Thanks 🙂

shepleg
    Free Member

yep do it

dooosuk
    Free Member

HPI and also check the online MOT database so you can verify mileages and see what work has been carried out.

Buying privately or from a trader?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, HPI it. If it's from a dealer they may have already done it for you though.

Also, get the reg and number off the registration document and do a MoT check on it. You can see what it's failed on and all the recorded milages

If it's a bit exotic, get an AA/RAC check done, maybe

Then, as long as it's not French, you should be OK. 🙂

lowey

No reason not to HPI any car really.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Thanks for those – I didn't know about the MOT database, I'll look into that too.

Timmo
    Free Member

quite often if you google the reg no it pops up some pictures of the car etc. may return nothing which is good, but you may find a picture of it on a cloud of tyre smoke with a grinning chav at the wheel!

defo as above though, hpi and mot checks, if its been hpi'd already may also pay to get an aa or rac check as then you have some comeback if something rears up a month down the line!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Buying a 2nd hand car worth £5000 – HPI check?’ is closed to new replies.