Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Buxton Mtb Routes?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

possibly up buxton next weekend, so has any one got any good ones? can include 3 shires and the likes? wouldnt mind a big old loop, know there is a cool descent over the goyt valley on that old rocky road that goes into buxton? is there any thing further out in buxton worth a look at??

any one link me to some good routes on a map to have a peek at?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Did you get out around 3 Shires last weekend?

There are loads of routes you can do from Buxton – too many to suggest on here. Bearing in mind the weather I would still be inclined to head 3 Shires/Macc forest way. I (still) don’t have any maps to post up but I strongly recommend you get browsing in a book shop at some of the many guide books that cover routes around Buxton (or wait for some kind soul who has got routes to post up).

I used to live in Buxton and I did very much enjoy the road up and over to the Goyt Valley, which can easily be linked in with the stuff we were discussing on the other post. Making it longer you can head north on the old Roman Road that passes White Hall Centre and pick up the “Buxton circuit” from the old Tim Banton/Andy Spencer guide. This will eventually bring you back to Derbyshire Bridge. This route could take me 3 hours in sloppy weather quite easily, so linking it up with 3 Shires and Macc forest will be a long ride.

How big is a “big old loop?”

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hey Stilltortoise – cheers for the info…

yeah managed to get out up there yeah yesterday, went up gradbach way to start with, was a bit mucky but still really really good, a nice new bit added to 3 shires routes for definate! did all the bits down 3 shires, did all 4 climbs/descents which were cool and no sign of shitty weather which is really cool after a mud bath in section before 🙂

gradbach is a cool little addtion though and imagine the route up thre i did would be fantastic in the summmer, i do think it would be better the opposite way in the crappy weather though, seems an awful lot of climbing in it too (2900feet) crammed into 17 miles i did, and alot of that road, where as the other way would have been mostly descents! still enjoyed it though as the roads were pretty and mega quiet lanes!

not sure of buxton area so would really know where to begin with plotting one, have to try and look in the books etc…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The problem with Buxton is that – other than 3 Shires way – a lot of it is limestone country and can get pretty boggy and mucky. If you didn’t take a look at Hollinsclough you should try that. Although limestone most of it is on bedrock so you avoid the mud. There’s plenty of uppy downy fun, it can be linked to the Pennine Bridleway easily (just south of Harpur Hill) and of course you can also link it to the Goyt Valley/Cat n Fiddle if you wanted to add another bit of fun near 3 Shires.

I might be out for a morning ride one day this weekend so I can show you around. Watch this space

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ST – cheers! yeah i looked at hollinsclough but without it on my gps i would really streuggled, if it didnt have the stuff i did on sunday in gradbach on my gps i would have really really really struggled, as there are lots of little tracks going off that i wouldnt have had a clue which was which! which i know is pathetic, but when you are in an unknown place and alone its a bit daunting (Well for me it is)…..

not sure i can do this saturday ST – but maybe sunday not sure yet! if not im up for hooking up another weekend!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll show you how to read a map too 😉 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

😆 please do sir! 😆

M6TTF
    Free Member

the old buxton circuit is pretty good, it takes in ladder hill, skirts new mills and brings you back into the goyt at the far end – you then have a long road drag back up to derbyshire bridge though!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

last time I did it the loggers had been on the forestry track above Fernilee reservoir. It was an unride-able bog fest, but that was a couple of years back

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any one got an idea of this old buxton circuit then? worth a go?

any list of points so i can plot the route?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

any one got an idea of this old buxton circuit then?

Do you mean “has anyone got any gpx’s for this route?” don’t you? 😉

The Buxton circuit is one I used to do 20 years ago on my fully rigid Spesh Hard Rock. Most of it is pretty straightforward in an “old school” day out, but there are some descents. The climb out of Goyt Valley is several kms of road though. Lovely on a summer’s evening or Autumnal sunny day, but in the wind and rain it will be a drag.

Get over to Hollinsclough

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah to be honest i do 😆 as i have no idea where to start, i know the road you are on about (the drag through goyt) which then leads to that car park and up a off road climb onto that old road which is a pretty sweet descent!

other than that i wouldnt have the foggiest where to go after that 🙁 and to be honest getting a map wouldnt massively help, as id no idea if the bits are going to be good or not, thats how i have learnt all the routes i do now are off other legends posting up .gpx files off there best routes, which has been fantastic for me and got me to do some rides i would never have dreamed of doing or even have a clue about 🙁

so yeah, if people do have them as .gpx then id appreciate a share, if anyone ever asks me for routes, mates etc im always willing to send them the files as id like them to enjoy as much as me 🙁

and thats why i spent a fortune on the gps so i could go and do these rides without plotting and having no idea whats good or not 🙁 not lazy, but if other people enjoy them then no doubt i would too, and thats exactly whats happened. Once i have the basic route i often go off and find new bits, but as i ride alone 🙁 i often dont dare go off at night on places i have no idea about, thats where the gps comes in

hollinsclough from what you have said looks bob on, but again without an idea of a route on paper/gps i have no idea where im heading 😆 i guess im not naturally gifted at following my nose 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im not having a dig by the way, id love to be able to read a map and go and discover aload of off road routes for myself, but time and work etc stops me from doing that, also it often takes an hour plus of driving to get there so rather than fannying about for further 5 hours trying to fathom together a route i like just having it there and raring to go, if i dont enjoy the route then thats cool, least i tried something new 🙂

although to be fair any/all of the routes around the peaks are fantastic in there own way, and usually offer something different everytime!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ST – not sure if i asked you this before

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Routes/Viewer.aspx?id=447

does that look any good? does include some of this good stuff in hollinsclough? a decent lengthed route for a starter anyways 😆

your input truly appreciated 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’d definitely recommend that above the Buxton circuit I was referring to. The bit immediately south of Harpur Hill will be a bit of a wet grassy slog, but not steep so do-able.

There are a few variations I would add in/remove knowing the area quite well, but I don’t have any gpx’s so this is a great starting point for you. Good luck 😀

PS If the weather is like today it will be HORRIBLE and snowy

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers ST – ill have a go at that when the weather permits then 😆

which will probably be about 5 months time 😆

cheers though for bearing with me! if i do go and check it out ill be sure to message you on here first to see if you want to join/assist 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Buxton Mtb Routes?’ is closed to new replies.