Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Butcher on the rear anyone ?
  • shredder
    Free Member

Anybody running one on the rear ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yeah, Butcher Grids both ends. Seem a decent allrounder to me.

Bucko

They’re a Minion DHF copy aren’t they? I love the DHF on both ends

windysurfer
    Free Member

How long are they lasting on the rear? The grid on my front was pretty worn out in 500 miles.

Northwind

Control was my 26 inch rear of choice, though not everyone would get away with a control on teh back, they’re not that durable. Superb rear tyre- not too draggy, good grip, slides beautifully.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Front and back for me. Mega grip!

danjthomas
    Free Member

Tried it. Very grippy but felt slow when the going was flat or up. I reverted to my purgatory which is good too.

shredder
    Free Member

Ta

johnw1984
    Free Member

I just swapped a Purg Control for a Slaughter Grid on the back as the Control was too soft for my manly frame 🙂

Still getting away with Butcher Control on the front though. Would have thought a Butcher on the back might be a little draggy, but never tried it.

excitable1
    Free Member

Butcher Grid up front and Slaughter Grid at the back.

The Slaughter is a great tyre, don’t be put off by the low profile of the centre tread, the side knobs give you all the grip you need and work perfectly with what the Butcher gives you up front.

I’ve ridden this combo all winter and in all conditions, I’ve even done a snow ride, and apart from proper wet deep slop (for which you need a true mud tyre and nothing else) they haven’t faltered.

I tried a Purg’ up front for a while and didn’t rate it, I found it slipping from under me at times, and don’t bother with the Control versions… they are made of nodders.

Most of the tyre manufacturers are bringing out or already have a tyre like the Slaughter cus it seems to work…IE Schwalbe Rock Razor, Maxxis Minion SS, WTB Riddler etc.

Worth a go at £35 a tyre too.

willard

I’d have to check, but i do use them on the stumpy.

Specialized kit-whore that I am…

beer247
    Free Member

Butcher Grid up front and Slaughter Grid at the back.

The Slaughter is a great tyre, don’t be put off by the low profile of the centre tread, the side knobs give you all the grip you need and work perfectly with what the Butcher gives you up front.

I’ve ridden this combo all winter and in all conditions, I’ve even done a snow ride, and apart from proper wet deep slop (for which you need a true mud tyre and nothing else) they haven’t faltered.

I took my Slaughter off for the winter (replaced with a Butcher), as I thought it wouldn’t handle the wet/mud! Might pop it back on again – I do find the Butcher on the rear a little draggy.

Northwind

Slaughter is still good fun even when it starts to run out of grip, I like it up til things get really steep and puckery. But I found it feels fast and actually isn’t, I’m quicker on easy trails and climbs and slower everywhere else, if that matters to you. (maybe a better rider would get more out of it, I find it hard to turn it as hard as it wants to be turned I think)

Also, maybe it’s just me but I struggle with it on techy/rocky climbs, I thought it’d have a good big contact patch but it doesn’t seem to engage as well as similar tyres. That annoys me more than slipping on a descent for some reason!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Butcher on the rear anyone ?’ is closed to new replies.