Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Busted – upgrades
  • trevron73
    Free Member

The wife just pointed out that i have spent more on upgrades than the bike cost in the first place ?( quite rightly, i must commend her on counting )Its a valid point but i dont see the problem it was always the plan .The rest of the plan involves new forks and then new wheels ,then new bars ,stem and finally a new frame. ha ha then it will be the dream bike i have always wanted to build .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and her point is?

also either you were fixing the bike in the kitchen or you let her out……

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Why didn’t you just buy the bike you wanted in the first place 😐

JoeG
    Free Member

I recently bought a $1400 bike. I have already spent about $1100 in upgrades. 😯

trevron73
    Free Member

Teetosugars-its because i havn’t had a bike in 15 years ,so if i spent £1500- £2000 on a bike ,then didnt use it and it gathered dust, i would get a bollocking everytime i wanted to buy something. So i bought a just above entry level bike with a solid frame so i could upgrade and make it a sweet ride ,whilst i decide on the frame of my dreams ,ive been out 1 or 2 times a week for 8 months so the wife knows its not a fad (i kite surfed for 10 years so i was getting my kicks elsewhere )im building a house next year so i just cant blow chunks of the house money on hobbies ,but once the house is finished BOOM . Hey building the bike of your dreams is way more fun than buying off the shelf ,think of all the hours lusting after gear mmmmmm

Bregante

I’m pretty sure that this is just her way of telling you that you need to upgrade your frame.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I think the last time I bought an off the peg bike was in about 1994…so yeah, understand the shiny shiny thing..

BrickMan

AS long as you sell on ‘some’ of the original parts to recoup funds (and not clutter the house with 7 or 8 dead bikes worth of parts) then you’ll be OK.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

As long as you are getting wear out of parts before you upgrade, what is the problem?

FuzzyWuzzy

Only the frame + seat clamp is original on my 09 Zesty, it’s a bit of a trigger’s broom but given the frame seems to suit me it’s easier just to change bits than get a whole new bike (which would likely have stuff on I’d want to change straight away anyway).

cookeaa

It’s the problem with buying a whole bike off the peg rather than putting it together and getting a bike you actually want to start with…

You essentially end up spending the money it would cost to own 2 bikes, but physically only have one, and get a bollocking from the missus thrown into the bargain, you might as well have just bought 2 actual bikes and had an old nag and a “For Best” bike, not much point in “Upgrading” just start over again…

Or an even better ploy is to pick a colour you like, say red, and only ever buy/build bikes in that colour, that way she’ll not notice that you own 6 bikes, she’ll only believe you own one and it’s red, ‘cos she’s a Bird and they only notice the colour… Right?

Women are as bad for fads, best bet is probably to just buy her a bike, make her feel included, if she’s anything like my OH she’ll ride it 3 times, blather on about how much she loves cycling and how she needs to do it more… and then get “hooked” on Zumba/Body pump/jogging/Spinning and the cycle repeats all over again…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

From http://www.velominati.com

Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.”

FWIW, t’other half owns more bikes than I do…. 🙄

edit:

Or an even better ploy is to pick a colour you like, say red, and only ever buy/build bikes in that colour, that way she’ll not notice that you own 6 bikes, she’ll only believe you own one and it’s red, ‘cos she’s a Bird and they only notice the colour… Right?

A riding buddy of ours who will remain nameless as he frequents STW genuinely did this with only black bikes. He got rumbled.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Your wife knows how much you spend on your bike? Fail…

madhouse

Haven’t we all?

Stuff breaks so you replace it with better, sometimes you just want new stuff – the upgrade cycle is a great way of spreading the cost of a new bike. Unfortunately women are good at remembering what you’ve bought.

The tricky conversation with the wife will be justifying that buying a complete bike and selling off the bits is cheaper than just buying the frame – although it does involve more effort on your part.

jota180
    Free Member

The wife just pointed out that i have spent more on upgrades than the bike cost in the first place ?( quite rightly, i must commend her on counting )

To need to have a serious word with her and set some expectations, in particular, that she shouldn’t really feel the need to check what you spend and make negative comments regarding it.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

If Mrs Wachowchow makes a negative comment with regards to how much I happen to spend on an ‘upgrade to a worn service part’ I merely include a Gunsmoke ano part for her 5 spot on the same order. She also gets the free Haribo. This tends to calm the waters / open the floodgates once again. 😀

drofluf
    Free Member

You get a bollocking when you spend money on upgrades???

Upgrade the wife, not the bike then!

😀

trevron73
    Free Member

Drofluf, there was no bolloking she was mmm “just” pointing out the fact . I actually prefere to upgrade as i want a bike unique to me, by the way ive told the wife the rest of the potential upgrades over the next 6 months and she is somewhat tepid but hey ho (dont care )plus she reckons if i spent that amount in the begining she would of set the bike on fire ? Apparently more diamonds will keep her calm hmmm ?

tomhoward

Who’s quote was it that went along the lines of

If I die in a plane crash, I hope my wife sells my stuff for what it’s actually worth, not what I told her it cost…

When telling your SO how much bike stuff costs, at least half it. Unless of course you have a biking SO, then you’re knackered (but have a biking SO, so every cloud and all that.)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Busted – upgrades’ is closed to new replies.