Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • business van insurance and any help with reducing what i pay the tax man?
    Free Member

Hi all,

We're looking to purchase/lease a van, the choice is out of my hands and it has been decided on a Toyota Hiace 95bhp, on a 59 plate.

I'll be the principle driver (29, sp30 4yrs ago, 4yrs no claims) but potentially the vehicle will be used by others also.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for low-cost insurance as we've been quoted £1k+ which I thought was a bit high. And, so I don't get rodgered by the tax-man are there any thoughts on being able to commute to/fro work and occasional (less then 10k pa) site visits? (maybe regular sd&p use)

thanks muchly,
    Jonathan.

skidartist
    Free Member

That strikes me as quite a high quote as someone who is renewing his van insurance just now and geting quotes around 1/3rd that amount, have you tried the comparison type sites? Having more than one driver using the van is probably pushing the price up, especially if you've not got them as named drivers. Your line of work, or the nature of the goods you are carrying might be factor too.

Although you say you've got NCB, if you've earned that on a car, and still have/use that car then you'll not be getting a discount on the van. When I still had a car I had to choose to put the discount against one or the other, but I couldn't get a NCB on both

br
    Free Member

But if its a works van you don't want to be using your NCD on it, nor should it be insured for you – for example, if someone steals it…

Free Member

I tried somewhere like 'insureyourvan', direct line & morethan. I'll have a look again today.

It'd be business insurance with me as a named driver…. I only quoted with me as a driver too……..

There won't be a car used, just a van. If i'm using it as a company vehicle as opposed to a pool-van, do I need to insure it the same? Apologies, I know next to nothing about this and have only ever had short-term lease with insurance in the past.

cheers,
    jt 😉

gusamc
    Free Member

Why not contcat your local MP for advice. They seem to be able to claim significantly more things against tax than both my accountant and HMRC allow me.

flip
    Free Member

I've just insured a van with Direct Line for £360. I have an SP30 too, but i am 40 yrs old.

Try Go compare also, you'll be amazed. I have just halved my contents insurance just by complaining to Direct Line that its so cheap elsewhere, they gave me a 40% complaining discount!!

skidartist
    Free Member

So you'd be the named driver but not the keeper/owner? That might be why its higher than the quotes I get, the presumption is perhaps that you'll drive it like you don't own it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

great fun isnt it ?

1.9d partner van – 470 quid tpft on an 06 plate

same thing with windows 240 quid FULLY COMP!

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Try Budget van insurance.Just renewed mine for Peorgot Expert, 3rd party fire and theft for £ 185. But thats with max no claims and 54 years old

Free Member

Thanks chaps!

gocompare gave the best prices, so did some shopping around on the type of van too as it looks like that could well be changed, i'd like a little caddy van, the 140 model, brisk, vw build quality and just about big enough to get some bikes in the back 😉

go compare got the price down to £674 which when the other quotes were over £1k a pretty good deal to me 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘business van insurance and any help with reducing what i pay the tax man?’ is closed to new replies.