Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • burst pipe
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

The pipe to the outside tap has burst, when it finally warmed up slightly today I could hear a waterfall outside!

I can shut it off from inside so no huge drama. I’m just wondering about fixing it, the split is approx 10mm long, can I just use something like this?:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/full-bore-isolating-valve-15mm/46860

Also, what are folks using for image hosting now? Seems I can’t use Google Drive anymore.

cheers
    Mark

nickjb
    Free Member

Do you need another isolation valve? If you want to go for a compression fitting just use a straight coupler – http://www.screwfix.com/p/straight-coupling-15mm-x-15mm/79889 That said I’d solder it. Not too tricky but more expensive to get tooled up.

Imgur for image hosing to post pics on here.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member
    V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I don’t need another valve, I think you’re right that will be long enough.

I do fancy learning to solder pipes at some stage but not outside in December! Just had half of tools nicked so simple is better at the moment, thanks for the comments.

Any reason why it blew there? This vertical section had a piece of insulation foam over it but there was an exposed bit at the bottom, why not there?? Likely to go again?
    cheers
    Mark

footflaps

It will be wear the copper was thinnest….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Any reason why it blew there?

….because there was water in it?

In cold weather I always isolate the external tap inside the house and leave it open so there’s no water in the external pipework / tap.

Can’t burst if there’s no water in it.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

so fix it and cross my fingers? 😀

midlifecrashes

And lag it

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

In cold weather I always isolate the external tap inside the house and leave it open so there’s no water in the external pipework / tap.

This might be a good idea, but both the inlet and the tap are higher than the pipe so I’m sure if it will do any good. I guess leaving it open might allow some expansion, might protect it a bit.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

And lag it

it was!

[url=https://postimage.org/]photo hosting[/url]

perchypanther
    Free Member

This might be a good idea, but both the inlet and the tap are higher than the pipe so I’m sure if it will do any good

The 15mm in line drain valve fitted at a low point externally is your friend in this situation.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

ideal, thanks Perchy. I’ll see if I can find one of them…. after I check there’s not one already fitted somewhere 🙂

dooosuk
    Free Member

Does your tap need to be in that position? Can’t you remove some of the length of external pipe and move the tap elsewhere? Would that reduce the risk of it freezing again?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I’ve just found out the copper only pipe only goes a few inches round the corner, the next 10 metres is plastic! So yes, I could move the tap and that would probably make things easier! I also have a handy compression fitting right there to drain the pipe with.

I don’t use this tap very often, occasionally when the car gets washed but I reckon I’m good for about 6 months on that front. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘burst pipe’ is closed to new replies.