Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • burst appendix
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Anyone burst their appendix? I’m currently on my 5th day in hospital. The current theory is that I burst it a while ago and it contained itself and formed an abscess in my stomach/hip area. The ct scan showed an abscess 18cm x 8cm x 8cm which they are currently draining off. Sounds like it could have turned nasty if it burst.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Very lucky that it contained itself. I’ve never heard of that. Normally a burst results in peritonitis and possible death!

I’d raise a toast to your omentum.

I wish you well.

globalti
    Free Member

Be grateful it happened in Britain.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had one of these but I just cut down the amount of Data and Information put at the back of the Presentation document…. 😉

Clover

Something similar happened to me when I was 22. Admitted to hospital with baffling level of infection clearly from somewhere in lower intestine. Hooked up to IV antibiotic whilst investigations took place but I didn’t have the standard appendicitis symptom (as in screaming at prodding of the area). Eventually they just chopped me open and found that it was my appendix after all (although behind my intestine rather than in front of it) and removed a large lump of festering gunk. Mmmmm.

I spent two weeks in hospital (week one for investigations, week two after op) and nearly six weeks pretty wiped out and trying to put back the stone in weight I’d lost. Take it easy! And don’t let your mother feed you lentils, it feels like gravel… 😀

GWS

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I had similar-thought I had strained a muscle playing squash & carried a grumbling appendix around for a week or so-finally got rushed to hospital & was on the operating table pretty sharpish. Turned out the appendix had weeped a bit but not burst. Went home after a week but went back in with a wound infection which had to be drained-couldn’t believe the amount of gunk that came out when it did finally drain. Spent the next few weeks packing the balloon shaped abcess with gauze so it healed from the bottom end. I too lost a stone in weight-my Bro thought it hilarious to bring in a parcel of food with a red cross on it-the hospital food was truly disgusting though.

tang
    Free Member

Mine burst aged 8. Ages in hospital, nearly died. It was consistently missed by the GP for days. 2nd opinion had me in hospital under the knife within 2 hrs. Sounds like it’s all contained so lucky there!

wwaswas

Mine ‘went’ as I was on the operating table and they managed to clean me out so I didn’t get peritonitis.

Was in hospital for my 10th birthday though 🙁

joshvegas
    Free Member

OP I had the very same thing Cyst formed arund leaking appendix which occurred three months before I went into hospital.

Wasn’t hugely sore when it started then it dissapeared quite suddenly.

I showed none of the usual symptoms, walked into A&E, no nausea or anything had them a bit confused. they whipped it out the next morning,
    thats when I discovered morphine has no affect on me. now that really was pain to write home about!

StuF

Mine went age 17. Laying on the sofa all day feeling unwell, docs at about 5pm. Operating table at about 2 am. About 1 week in hospital with a stereotypical battle axe ward sister then 6 weeks off windsurfing 🙁

brakes
    Free Member

is appendicitis hereditary?
    my Dad had his done so I wonder if I should be keeping an eye on it…

wwaswas

no idea, neither of my parents had it and my 3 siblings have been appendectomy free thus far.

diggers
    Free Member

Yep last december – burst appendix and pelvic abcess. Discharged twice from hospital after being diagnosed with norovirus. Peritonitis and an emergency laparotomy followed. Left me with 2 belly buttons and 3 months off work, could have been worse as I was 7 days away from flying to Nicaragua for 3 weeks.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Sorry I can’t read this thread without feeling sick.

mangoridebike

My Mother in Law had this happen over the summer, misdiagnosed initially (seems to be a bit of a theme here) and then rushed in & operated on to find the cause, massive scar as they kept cutting further and further to find the cause. A second op followed as they had to tidy up the rush job that was done sewing her back up again. She’s still not back up to full strength now (6 months on) but is getting there. She now has no tummy button as that got contained within the sewing up.

Drac

A bit of shit getting stuck no. Could be argued that the genetic structure of your bowel and appendix could contribute.

john_drummer
    Free Member

My older sister’s appendix burst when she was young, took a couple of second opinions to get her into hospital. When mine went acute a few years later my mum knew exactly what it was and I was in the OR before it burst. I was 11 at the time. AFAIK my younger sister still has hers

Stainypants

if your on opiod painkillers don’t let them discharge with you taking a dump. Far worse than the surgury or my subsequent infected appendix wound, still suffering the after effects 3 years later.

Nick

torihada
    Free Member

14yrs old: 3 days at home, in bed with terribly painful belly. GP 3rd day, straight to A&E, all the student/junior Doctors in the vicinity then paraded past my trolley to prod my belly to understand the classic signs/patient reaction of appendicitis/peritonitis. Operation that night. One week in hospital with a drain. Wiped out for the next month. Never thought I’d be on a trolley praying for the Doctor’s to put me under.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Killed one of my best friends when he was 22. Not a good time. Get well soon.

hairyscary

Mine burst at the age of 19. I’d ignored the ‘grumbling’ symptoms for a few days but had to call a doctor when the pain became too much. After he had examined me he politely asked if it was ok to use the house phone, as he needed to call the hospital to arrange surgery for my ruptured appendix and to call an ambulance……I didn’t refuse 😀
    I ended up having emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix with peritonitis and spent nearly two weeks on a high dependency unit. I lost a lot of weight .
    It probably took me about two months to get back to full strength………at which point a bunch of local morons tried their level best to kick my head from my shoulders.
    Shit couple of months all in all.

The high dependency unit was a horrible place, watching people gradually getting more and more attention and then in the morning their bed was empty 🙁

brakes
    Free Member

well for those as alarmed by this as me, given how common appendicitis is, here is a link to some things to look out for… Symptoms

shermer75
    Free Member

Good use of the word ‘omentum’

tthew

Stainypants – Member
    if your on opiod painkillers don’t let them discharge with you taking a dump

Does your username have anything to do with your recommendation? 😯 😀

mogrim

Happened to a guy at work, the previous day he’d been out hiking with no problems at all, apparently the pain came on fairly quickly. Trip to the hospital, then a month or so in intensive care including an induced coma for a week or so… I don’t work with him any longer, so I have no idea about long term symptoms, but he was off work for over 6 months and had lost a huge amount of weight when he came back.

bigyim
    Free Member

Finally out the hospital after 6 days. Just got a course of very strong antibiotics now and a hole in my stomach. Think they drained around half a litre of puss out the abscess. The more people I’ve spoke to makes me realise how lucky ice been. My temperature was in the 39 region for a while and blood tests were throwing up some crazy numbers

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘burst appendix’ is closed to new replies.