Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Burping with Ghetto and Maxxis Crossmarks. or are they just cr@p tyres?
  • Vortexracing

Right guys i’ve been using ghetto on my 719D rims for about 2 months. Ive got maxxis crossmarks tyres with no problems at all.

Haven’t used them at any trial centres, but seem to work well for DRY natural stuff. Went to Penmachno on Thursday and had 3 off’s in the first 4 miles!!

The last off was quite a biggy, after recovering from being winded I looked at the front tyre and it had deflated and had a split in it, so after re-inflating, it was a gentle and sore ride to the car via the fireroads.

The front just washed out instantly and without warning, my question is could the tyre have burped and that caused it or are the crossmark’s not very good on the front when it gets damp?

The fact that I came off the trail in such a short distance 3 times is probably an indication that something wasn’t gripping as is it should and to make matters worse because I was on my own I never push to 100% so although not pottering along I wasn’t caning it either.

Never had this with my High Rollers on DTswiss kits in my 5.1 rims or when using Kenda BG/Nevegals.

Causes could have been

1) Burping causing the tyre to deflate
    2) Split in tyre with same result as before
    3) Crap tyres that give no indication they are about to let go

opinons please

cheers, a very sore and grazed Dave

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I ran Maxxis Crossmax tubeless on the back of my 96er for one ride. It burped any time it was put under stress such as a heavy landing or hitting a root. Replaced it with whatever I am running now. I can’t remember what that is but not a tubeless specific tyre and had no problems.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not problems witht he Maxxis Ignitor 29″ on the front.

jimthesaint

When I fitted Crossmarks to a pair of 317’s with a Stans kit I had to use more yellow tape under the rubber thingy than with any other tyre. They were so baggy round the rim that it’s no surprise that they burp under cornering.

Personally I never got on with them. My first local descent is through a woods with loamy soil and they didn’t seem to give me any cornering grip at all. In fairness though they were one of the fastest tyres I’ve ridden on the hard stuff.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

They do seem a ‘baggy’ tyre – I run them with a tube and can get a 2.1 off my rear rim (717) without any need for tyre levers. I quite like the tyre on the back though – very quick on harder trails and in the the dry.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

If its burping off the rim, you will hear it

theboatman
    Free Member

I thought the crossmarks I had were trying to kill me! the wet, and wet roots and rocks seemed to give the front a reason to let go whenever it fancied. I’m not usually the sort of person who worries too much about what tyre to run, but after persisting for a month with them, I just gave up.

Vortexracing

Didn’t hear it burp. But it seems unusual to come off the trail so many times in such a short distance. All of which is due to the front not turning in.

It was wet in most places, the front just let go so quickly that was I was wondering if it had burped or not. Especially having not experienced any tyre burping before.

Might try a different tyre on the front.

As it seems to be that rather than the ghetto tubeless that may the root cause of the problem.

The other tyres I have are both ST42A compound in either High roller or Swampthings, so I am going from very grippy fronts, to a tyre that does’nt have that level of grip. I’m probaly asking too much of it in the wet/damp.

devs
    Free Member

Watched a good rider slip off the off camber ordinarily grippy rocks at Golspie on Crossmarks. It was here first ride on them and probably her last. Saw enough to convince me that I will never be using them.

STATO
    Free Member

I’ve been running normal crossmarks with ghetto or stand converions for quite a while now and only had one problem when I slid the back over a bank and it ripped the tyre off, but that would have blown a tube anyway. I’ve even taken my xc bike down the Nevis dh track without a single complaint from the crossmarks. I think it possible you could have pulled the bead off the seat but if your doing that then your going to be way beyond what the tyre can grip at. They can be sketchy gyres if your not used to them but I love mine, and pirior to these I was a habitual tyre swapper, I’ve still got about 10 pairs of other tyres gathering dust since I bought these.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Burping with Ghetto and Maxxis Crossmarks. or are they just cr@p tyres?’ is closed to new replies.