Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Burls Bikes – any good?
  • robdob
    Free Member

See here: http://burls.co.uk/

Seem to get good reviews and they are the same price as a custom steel frame (well a bit more) from the established UK builders.

I’d like a Feather, but I really don’t have that sort of money, and a ti bike I’ve always really wanted.

Thanks all.

wrecker
    Free Member

I would very much recommend using the search function on this particular topic 😉

devash
    Free Member

Haha nice troll.

bruneep

why was the thread removed? DH gets a bigger kicking on here and those threads stay?

cokie

Apparently the attention to detail is outstanding…

robdob
    Free Member

Did that already, but the only 2 threads are for one for sale and another one where the link doesn’t work, don’t know why. Might be my ancient computer…

ransos
    Free Member

Google cache is your friend…

robdob
    Free Member

Haha nice troll.

Me? Why would it be a troll?

robdob
    Free Member

Google cache is your friend…

Not used that….. [goes off to find out what that means]

bikebouy
    Free Member

Topical piss take I reckon.. 🙄

robdob
    Free Member

Google Cache – Aaaah I see. Give me a minute…

theflatboy
    Free Member

bruneep, I was wondering the same thing… background machinations it seems…

wrecker
    Free Member

That thread got pulled? Why? That’s pretty poor. What happened to jesuischarlie etc etc?

robdob
    Free Member

Figured it out. 😳

Leaving them well alone then!

Thanks guys.

nuke

why was the thread removed? DH gets a bigger kicking on here and those threads stay?

It got removed!?! Thats seems wrong 😡 I don’t see anything on that thread that seemed inflammatory, in fact I thought the OP on the thread was very patient. Terrible customer service imo

wwaswas

That’s pretty poor.

story seems to be that owner of frame had no idea thread was here and has received a full refund.

robdob
    Free Member

Getting a full refund doesn’t erase time and memory, does it?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Just saw that in the other thread. Would be more transparent to have stated that and closed the thread, IMO – deleting it just looks like strings were pulled to cover it up…

bruneep

nuke

Would be more transparent to have stated that and closed the thread, IMO – deleting it just looks like strings were pulled to cover it up…

^ Yep, agree there

wrecker
    Free Member

So he got his money back, it doesn’t mean that all is right. That thread should stay as a heads up to others.

scotroutes

Burls Bikes – any good?

Excellent.

I got my frame in the timescale project and it was exactly as I’d specified except…..

The mech hanger got damaged in transit and so the wheel wouldn’t actually fit in at all. I reported the problem and got a new mech hanger and the necessary screws by return of post.

honourablegeorge

wrecker – Member
    So he got his money back, it doesn’t mean that all is right. That thread should stay as a heads up to others.

The thread was hearsay though, as opposed to the experiences of the buyer. Makes it all a bit ropey.

wrecker
    Free Member

Everything on here is hearsay!!! we’re all just “someone on STW”

cloudnine
    Free Member

Hearsay supported by photos of shonky workmanship

scruff
    Free Member

threads like that getting pulled is one of the reasons I cancelled my subscription.

scotroutes

One could suggest that the story “as told to STW” was factually incorrect, especially as the person posting it wasn’t involved in any of the conversations with the supplier. If that were the case, it would be close to (if not actual) libel? IANAL

Of course, maybe the supplier threatened to re-assign the massive advertising spend they currently have with STW and the powers that be caved in to that. 🙄

flange
    Free Member

Oh really?? Libel yeah? Get YOUR facts straight before you start spouting nonsense on here. I asked for the thread to be pulled because a refund was made and I didn’t want to cause unnecessary damage to Justins business. I know he has a lot of happy customers. My mate isn’t one of them. I’ve read ALL the emails so I’d say I have a pretty good picture of what’s gone on. I’ve also seen the frame.

But of course you’ve had all the facts haven’t you, having spoken to Justin. Tell you what,drop me an email with your phone number and I’ll get my housemate to fill you in on the details. Idiot

bruneep

You started a thread on here to complain about a frame build, then you wanted it pulled as you didnt want to hurt the builder business. 😕

everyone
    Free Member

Why didn’t you leave the last post saying that your mate has got a full refund?

Actually why did you even post up in the first place if it wasn’t your bike in the first place?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get YOUR facts straight before you start spouting nonsense on here. I asked for the thread to be pulled because a refund was made and I didn’t want to cause unnecessary damage to Justins business. I know he has a lot of happy customers. My mate isn’t one of them.

Yep. The Burls frame your mate got was shit. The service he had afterwards was possibly shitter.

Clearly not all Burls frames are shit, as they seem popular, but the one in your thread was very shit. Much the same as when someone gets a bad frame or bad service from the likes of Trek, Spesh, ‘Dale, Canyon, etc. People talk about it because it’s worth talking about, even if it harms their business. Equally, when a company does a good thing, we’re going to hear about that as well.

flange
    Free Member

The thread was pulled at the request of the builder. I posted because I was pissed off on my Mates behalf and posted showing pics for a second opinion and at that point hadn’t named names. but you lot carry on shooting the messenger.

I’m still trying to understand how it’s libel but frankly I’m past caring now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The thread was pulled at the request of the builder.

Ah. I see.

So, a bad review in the forum can get pulled if the company asks nicely? Interesting.

flange
    Free Member

The request came to me, not the forum so it’s not stw’s fault. I asked for it to be done as an agreement was made over the refund and that was case closed. As people have mentioned on here, there are plenty who like his frames and have had no issues. This wasn’t one of them.

If it were up to me, this thread would be pulled as well and that would be an end to it.

legend
    Free Member

Edited as already answered.

Regardless, what a load of bollocks that negative threads get pulled (by request or otherwise). Should probably go reporting every negative thread on the site to help the mods track them down

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The thread was pulled at the request of the builder.

If he’d have had any guts, he’d have logged on an explaind himself, then rounded it off with an apology and a refund. The he’d get some respect like the other brand owners/representitives that post on here.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not libel.

Was pulling the thread a condition of the refund though?

And did he refund your made for the extra expense he incurred due to the build? I recall something about an issue with di2 attachments?

bruneep

the bosses for the Di2 external battery were missing. A pain in the arse but after £300 on internal battery and fittings that issue was sorted.

Dobbo

Harsh having a go at flange IMO, it’s all a bit different when you one of the ones in the thick of it.

The buyer might have just been pleased to get a resolve and wanted to see the back of all the hassle, I suppose the thread would be part of that.

flange
    Free Member

Right, once and for all (and now I’m sat at a desk and not sat on a train on my phone)

I posted the original thread (without mentioning names initially) because I wanted a second opinion on the frame itself. I built it up and obviously having not done a lot of disc road builds, I wondered if others had had the same opinion. The issue dragged on and the problems with the frame were not resolved. This culminated in my mate getting pissed off and asking for a refund. Justin to his credit gave a refund straight away and things were left amicably. Justin was pointed to this thread AFTER the event and emailed my mate asking him if he would mind posting up saying a refund had been given. I took it one step further and asked for it to be deleted which in hindsight I realised shouldn’t have been done but was hoping that in doing so it would just be left at that. Someone on here very kindly posted this thread up which has sparked it all off again.

To clarify – yes the frame was wrong and these issues were not rectified. Yes a refund was given and yes, I had the thread pulled as I didn’t want to cause any more of a stink. I’ve not seen any issues with Burls prior to this, and as one member states, he hasn’t had any with his.

Regarding the Di2 stuff, my mate still has this and it can be used on a future frame. No, its not ideal but its not going to waste, he’ll have it built onto something else. For the record, even though there were issues with the frame, built up it did look lovely and whilst in the shop (I took it down there), a lot of people walking by were pretty complimentary. I’m sure with time it could have been sorted but my mate wasn’t prepared to wait any longer.

After all that, I’m off for a beer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Burls Bikes – any good?’ is closed to new replies.