Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Burglar alarms & multiple remote panels
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

One for the singlewikioracle

The ancient remote panel on our burglar alarm is dying of old age and overuse and I want to replace both it, and the main box itself with newer ones.

While I’m at it, I’d like to add a second remote panel, so that we can alarm the house from both front and back doors. Can I just connect the second remote in parallel with the first, or is it more complicated than that (ie do I need a dedicated main unit for multiple remotes?).

(its a wired system btw…)

Thanks!

jonba
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be too hasty to get a new alarm fitted.

I had some problems with min (The battery died and it went off at 3am in the morning). The guy who fixed it fitted alarms so I was chatting to him about options. I had been putting it off as it was expensive. Anyway, he fitted a second remote by the back door and put new sensors in the garage (as there were none).

Did it for £140 all in and it now does everything I need it to.

Would have cost way more than that for a new system and created a bit of a mess and taken longer.

If you have a BT alarm in the North east I can give you a number.

I have no idea what he actually did wiring wise but it worked I think he just connected another control to the main box. It works and that is all I care about.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I would guess that it depends on the panel.

Our old panel has wired connections for each zone and one for the remote. Alarm guy said we couldn’t program the panel for 2 entry zones – I pointed out that it was hard wired, so just physically moved the wiring for both doors onto the same zone and job’s a good ‘un.

Based on that, on our system it should be possible to connect multiple remote pads as it’s just a wire into terminal blocks from the pad.

waller
    Free Member

All depends on the system. If you are going to replace it probably the easiest to configure and set up would be a texecom system. You can buy complete packages and they also do a wireless system. They have probably the easiest set up manual.

Other alarm systems to look at would be Galaxy, Scantronix, castle and menvier.

If it is a newer alarm system then there shouldn’t be a reason why you cannot have multiple remote keypads. They would normally be addressed so the system knows what which one is doing.

It is possible that your current system may be limited due to age etc. with regards to running keypads in parallel again it would depend on the system.

I’d be inclined to give a local alarm firm a call. They may give you a free estimate which could well be cheaper and much less hassle than ripping the whole system out and replacing.

Good luck with it 🙂

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Sort of bump, sort of clarification.

All I want to replace is the main panel (14 years old) and the remote keypad (which has knackered buttons). All the PIRs and cabling seems in good nick.

The extra remote keypad would be in a non-alarmed area, so there wouldn’t be an issue with zoning.

This would be a DIY job – I’ve fitted alarms before. It’s simply knowing whether the main panel will get upset about the idea of 2 remotes or not.

Cheers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Burglar alarms & multiple remote panels’ is closed to new replies.