Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Burbage footpath – legit?
  • opusone
    Free Member

One of my friends mentioned that he’d seen some bikers on the (nice, wide, flat, slow) footpath that skirts round the eastern edge of burbage valley above the crags. I was up there earlier today and rode across it to and down to houndskirk just to see what it was like on the bike. I encountered three or four people on foot, none of whom seemed particularly bothered by me. Just wondered if people thought it was legit cycling or not.

boxelder

Wasn’t when I lived there.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

It’s a very popular path (with families also) and gets very busy at peak times.
    Legally you shouldn’t, but if your going to (cut out a big road section from stanage to fox house) anyhow ensure it’s at considerate times.

JohnnyPanic

Do you really mean above the crags – gets quite techy in places, not what I would describe as wide, or do you mean the green drive in the valley below the crags, which is nice & wide, and popular with walkers.

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s not a bridleway but no one I’ve met on it seems to know or care. Given the other (significantly cheekier) routes from fiddler’s elbow to fix house I’d say you’re all good.

Edit: the path I’m talking about is the wheelchair-friendly motorway but that’s really below the crags so perhaps that’s not the one you mean?

JohnnyPanic

Given the other (significantly cheekier)

😀

opusone
    Free Member

I meant the one above the crags, not the wheelchair track. It was techy but mostly rideable and “wide” in the sense of several options. I think I walked < 100 yards of it. I’ve been (slowly) down the wheelchair track before but it was pretty busy today. (Indian summer, innit)

What is the significantly cheekier option? (so I can avoid it, obviously)

Edit: having read my original post, I can see why you thought I meant the wheelchair track. Nice = techy, wide = multiple options, slow = cos I wouldn’t have been able to do it fast, even if I had wanted to.

seosamh77
    Free Member

would burst my nut if I had to contemplate questions like this! 😆

opusone
    Free Member

would burst my nut if I had to contemplate questions like this!

Scotland?

antigee

not legit but popular – not up to date but believe there is a proposal to build a new bridleway on the Sheffield side of this path with the aim of providing a link – it gets a mention in the Eastern Moors masterplan around page 52ish
    As seen with Froggatt/Curbar, Longshaw, Lady Cannnings this plan is actually not just words and in theory this element should be an easy decision as Sheffield City Council is the landowner

http://www.sheffieldmoors.co.uk/files/downloads/140218%20SMP_Masterplan%20Final.pdf (not mobile friendly – nice pics and lots of pages)

personally I’d vote for open access – but maybe with proviso riders who can’t avoid hitting stuff have to have crank / BB protectors and big bash guards fitted?

opusone
    Free Member

@antigee – interesting (skim) reading, thanks.

As seen with Froggatt/Curbar, Longshaw, Lady Cannnings

What happened at Froggatt / Curbar? I thought most of that was still out of bounds.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the path along the top is now a bridleway. it’s bloody great, if a little busy at times…

opusone
    Free Member

Well, that’s Thursday’s ride sorted.

Just looking at the OS now – do you know whether the path along white edge (i.e. just to the east of frogatt edge) is legit as well? Also, are the other bridleways between Curbar and Baslow worth having a look at?

ahwiles
    Free Member

er… could be wrong…

white edge is cheeky, and possibly illegal.

have a look at this for legal ride suggestions

christhetall
    Free Member

the path along the top is now a bridleway. it’s bloody great, if a little busy at times…

That’s the path along the top of Froggatt and Curbar, and not along the top of Burbage. The eastern moors partnership has also opened up a track on Big Moor which makes for a very pleasant loop. I believe the “Green drive” up the middle of Burbage is due to be opened up to MTBs once the forestry work is finished.

The less said about other paths the better…

opusone
    Free Member

That suggests riding Froggatt edge, so I guess it’s legit. Streetmap is still claiming that it’s a footpath, but that leaflet claims it’s bridleway

opusone
    Free Member

The eastern moors partnership has also opened up a track on Big Moor which makes for a very pleasant loop.

Where is this?

ahwiles
    Free Member

christhetall – Member

That’s the path along the top of Froggatt and Curbar, and not along the top of Burbage.

well, i was responding to a question *about* Froggatt and Curbar.

keep up Grandad!

christhetall
    Free Member

It’s shown on routes 4 and 5 on that leaflet, going past the barbook reservoir (more of a large pond really). Like the other tracks they were footpaths and are now permitted bridleways thanks to those nice people at NT/RSPB

christhetall
    Free Member

Don’t you grandad me sonny jim or I’ll hit you with me flat cap.

The format of this forum doesn’t make it clear what you are responding to so I thought it was best to clarify in case any one, MTBer or not, got the wrong impression.

opusone
    Free Member

^ Mega, thanks. I’ll head up on Thursday and do something akin to route 4 I think.

ahwiles
    Free Member

you might see a few hairy cows/highlanders/mucklemoos hanging out near the Wellington Monument.

This may or may not bother you, but it’s only fair to let you know.

(They’re quite friendly beasts really, perhaps a little too friendly…)

christhetall
    Free Member

And if you’re really lucky you might see deer. I saw one on Lenny Hill the other night – not sure which of us was more surprised !

matt_outandabout

No forumite faces were revealed in the taking of this image on upper Burbage path…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2AB6AM]Sunset MTB[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Burbage footpath – legit?’ is closed to new replies.