• This topic has 40 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Bumbag
  • geologist
    Free Member

After years of using a Camelbak I’m finding it increasingly annoying. I don’t want to carry my pump and tube strapped to The frame or in jersey pockets , So Im thinking of a bumbag.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for one?
    Thanks

fd3chris
    Free Member

I use an osprey one, can’t recall the name but it carries two water bottles and all I need for my rides and more importantly it leaves my back open to the air.

martinhutch

I’m using one of these.

Normally stick the spare tube and a couple of extra bits in the central pocket rather than a bottle.. Takes minipump, phone, first aid, a small amount of food, tool, waterproof and even a softshell gilet with a bit of squishing.

Wouldn’t go back to a shoulder pack now, I’d rather have a top-tube bag if I needed to carry a bit more.

nickc

Much cheapness from go outdoors

I got this, it’s only £25.00 or so. It’s fine for a couple of hours, will take a tube, pump, multi tool, keys and a bit of water. You can cinch it down pretty tight so it doesn’t move about as much as you’d expect, haven’t used it in heavy rain, but I can’t imagine it’s massively waterproof though.

bruneep

Talon 6 is what I use it’s really good.

AdamT

Fannypack? 🙂 (snigger)

NormalMan

I picked up one from a make called Berg cycles, while on holiday in Portugal, which has been really good so far.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worth a repeat. My bumbag tale…

I remember a long time ago, a sales event, hosted by a major US bike manufacturer.
    They told us all about their new range of fanny packs.

‘We’ve got the small fanny”
    Sniggering

‘We’ve got a medium fanny”
    Gentle guffawing

‘We’ve got a large fanny”
    Starting to lose it now, the audience were in tears

“And, finally, this year, we’re really proud that this year, we can finally show you our new, extra large, expandable fanny”

Falling off chairs

honourablegeorge

Liking my Camelbak Palos, was very cheap in a sale. Newer one looks even better

rmacattack
    Free Member

‘watch my fanny, coming through’

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

bruneep – Member
    Talon 6 is what I use it’s really good.

Bruneep- does the front buckle dig into your belly or get in the way of any short buckles/fastners????

singlespeedstu

honourablegeorge – Member
    Liking my Camelbak Palos

Me too.
    Though I’ve switched back to a larger pack now the weather has changed and I need to carry a proper waterproof coat rather than a light weight shell.

bruneep

nope not at all.

nuke

Tried a few bumbags but never found one that remained particularly stable offroad once loaded so went with Wingnut Assault instead…low on your back & small like a bumbag but still with shoulder straps

scotroutes

I use an Ortlieb. Pricey but usual bombproof/waterproof quality.

prawny

There’s a review in this months MBUK, the Mavic one came top and looks good but is ££. I’ve got a Trespass one that cost about £8 is fine.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Been using a Camelbak Palos the last couple of months (comes with a wee water bladder), took a ride or two to get used to it and how tight to ratch it up, but much prefer it to riding with a rucksack now for anything up to an hour or two’s ride.

It’s pretty large, ergo loads of pockets and stashes – I’ve got tube, tyre levers, credit card, £10 note, tyre boot, chain tool, quicklink, wee mini multitool, CO2 inflator and a credit card in mine. Still loads of room for a massive phone and bulky set of van keys.

Pretty impressed with it so far.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m one of those **** that just assumes someone else with have a pump/tube/quicklink. Obviously I take my own beer kitty tenner.

Leku
    Free Member

I have the Mavic Crossride. It’s ok. The water bottle is nice but I can’t fit a phone in the pack along with an inner tube.

Superficial
    Free Member

Spesh SWAT bibs for me. I hate bags, bum or otherwise.

theraggyone
    Free Member

I use a dakine one . Holds all my tools , co2 , phone ,pump etc . It will hold a bottle too but i mount that on fabric cageless system and use the bottle pouch for my pack a mac. So much less hassle than a pack and much more balanced

mattherby
    Free Member

I use a race face vest. Proper snug fit but it’s got three pockets and a section in the back for a 1ltr bladder if needed but I use a bottle on the bike.

Vest holds tube, tyre levers, pump, tools and snacks. Car key goes in pocket and jobs a good un’

aldo56
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these:
    https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/t011/

Made in the Lakes, cheap and does the job perfect. Tools, jacket, food, soft water bottle etc all go in there if I need more than a bottle on the frame.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

+1 Wingnut.

thelawman

In the tradition of “recommend what you have”:-

Lowe Alpine Mesa

Slightly larger than some of the previous suggestions (but still only 6 litres) and available for £20 – £25 with a bit of shopping around. The previous model lasted me roughly 15 years of trailquesting, general riding, Munro bagging, faffing about on holidays, ‘man-bagging’ etc until the base eventually started to wear through. If I get 10 years out of this one, I’ll be happy. Just avoid the orangey-coloured option; it looks pants in the flesh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Uswe I more monkey dance bags are worth a look for a different kind of pack.

lardman
    Free Member

My Evoc is pretty stable on my ‘fanny’
    Holds all i need, too. But, the magnetic hose fixing thing is poorly considered. So I had to bodge a clip for it.

warpcow
    Free Member

I use a Dakine Lowrider for lost of my summer riding. It’s a bit of a pain with the bladder full, but it’s rare I do that and comfortable otherwise.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Overboard Pro 3l here: waterproof with rolltop closure, mesh side pocket for water bottle, small front pocket. Seems to work well, I am yet to try other designs…

http://www.amba-marketing.com/products/1474-overboard______pro_light_3_litre_waist_pack.php?r=1m28b0s149

shakers97
    Free Member

Carrying a multi tool against the base of your spine while riding at speed over unpredictable terrain.

What could possibly go wrong?

Rubber_Buccaneer

What could possibly go wrong?

Do you think, in the event of a crash, it may push the mini pump and car keys that are also in the bag through my spinal cord? Just before the water bottle snaps my spine like a twig? Have to admit I do wonder how wise it is to carry stuff this way. At least my pack puts a bag of water between me and all the hard bits

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Camelbak Flash Flo for years. Holds 1.5L plus loads of storage.

alric
    Free Member

+1 the lowe alpine mesa
    I just bought another. Had a couple of rides with it and it holds what I need for a couple of hours, and I dont feel the need to hide it in the bushes, when I’m doing loops, like I did with the camelbak.
    With both of them, I could carry quite a lot
    I also have a similar but more heavy duty lowe alpine one, I cant see the name.
    I had a couple of lighter ones too, but the zip broke.

mahalo

i use a race face rip strip. no good if you need to carry water too but i get everything i need in there, is fixed firmly to my back and hidden under my jersey. even provides a nice bit of lower back support i find…

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I love a bum bag, me! (Or pouchette, as I like to call it

chakaping
    Free Member

Does the Go Outdoors one have space to carry a pump?

Looks like it does but may as well check.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

singletrackworld the dadbag? (concept)

BoardinBob

Been using a Dakine Enduro Pack for years now but bought a Bontrager Rapid Pack at the weekend. Bit more low profile and it’ll hold a bottle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Bumbag’ is closed to new replies.