I suffered what can only be classed as bullying buy a manager at work. I appreciate how difficult these situations are especially if you get on with all your colleagues and wish to continue doing the same job as you enjoy that line of work. It is a lonely place to be as you do not want to leave but you are being made to feel miserable by one individual. Generally the 'bully' is in a position whereby it is very difficult to challenge them effectively on your own.Hence they feel like they can get away with it.
However, do NOT carry on regardless. Your health is of paramount importance. You are important to your family. If you are suffering health issues on the back of the bullying then you really have to act. I continued for 5 years without reacting and I got ill. My family suffered because of it. I was more irritable etc. and they were the ones who bore the brunt of my frustration. In the end I was making everyone miserable and so my home life was suffering too.
Too put it another way, miserable at work and at home. Not a good idea or a recipe for anything other than disaster.
This post could indeed be War and Peace so for that reason I must try and put it as bullet points from here.
1) Is there a H.R. dept?
2) Do you feel the integrity of H.R. will assure your complaint will be looked at in a confidential manner.
3) If yes, speak to them immediately about the situation.
( I do understand you may feel afraid it will come back on you but you are damned if you do and damned if you don't)
4) Is there an Occ. Health officer?
5) If yes, speak to them. Tell them how your health is being affected.
6) If like me the 'illness' was depression / anxiety etc. Go to the Doctors !!! It's a no brainer that one. Totally worth doing. Hopefully you have a decent G.P. These are things that should be taken seriously.
7) Take your wife / partner to the Docs with you. They may be able to help you speak about things you might feel ashamed about or embarrassed about.
8. There is NO shame in admitting you are struggling.
Whatever you do, do something ! Do not carry on regardless as the situation does not get better unless the bully leaves and invariably they don't !!
I hope this makes sense and that it may be of help to someone.