Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Building up an xc Hard Tail for the gf
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

I'm toying with the idea of putting together a small xc / trail hardtail for my girlfriend so we can start doing the odd towpath / gentle xc ride together (she's never ridden off road before).

I've currently got spare EA70 bars / Easton stem / XT HT2 chainset & BB / DT Swiss hubs & XR4.2D wheelset / Spesh Rival SL saddle but otherwise am in need of everything else!

Have just started looking at xc HT frames but I'm after some suggestions really, the frame budget will probably be a very max of £300, however, ideally much less!

Might end up leaving a WTD on the classifieds.

Quite like the look of the 16" Mocha Brown DMR Trailstar frame from Wiggle but I keep reminding myself that the project mustn't end up being a small play bike for me… 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

You got some good stuff there… DMR Trailstar is definately soemthing you want but she doesnt really need… be nice to buld something light for her.

druidh
    Free Member

Get an Inbred from On One, they're even doing deals on headsets and will fit one for a small charge.

tinsy
    Free Member

2 exact opposite ideas already STW rocks.

ahwiles
    Free Member

there must be something in the water, i'm about 3 weeks ahead of you on the same project…

i bought a white 14" inbred for the GF – she says it's "very pretty", and she's now the one asking if i we can go for a bike ride.

£125! i've no idea how they do it.

The problem is, i don't really have anything similar to ride with her, and feel a bit of a fool riding around on my 6" full-bounce all-mountain thing, so i'm now looking to get something similar to an inbred, which will mostly likely be an inbred (SS and rigid, obviously).

so, a bike for Doris has become 'a bike for Doris, and another bike for me'.

credit crunch? – tell me about it.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Just make sure it fits, pay more attention to crank length, reach, standover and bar width than to pimp componentry.

z1ppy

I've picked up a nice little boardman frame off here for less than a £100, brand new with a couple of scratches.
    Have a look round, also bear you wife in mind does she need a woman specific frame (specailzed myka HT are nice enough), or will any old 'mans' one do?
    Don't be a snob, ie: the Halfords Carrera bikes are decent enough, and ebay is full of the frames for sale.

As much as I like On-ones, the inbred is not exactly light weight.

nickc

Chain Reaction do some very good value generic Aluminium frames from less than £100.

cinnamon_girl

A couple of suggestions:

Kinesis Maxlight cos it's, surprise surprise, light!
    Rock Lobster 853 cos steel is comfy.

Lightweight forks will make a difference as will lightweight wheelset. Sometimes it's harder for girlies cos we're not all strong!

Would definitely put a "Wanted" ad in the Classifieds. Secondhand is the way to go, you'll get more for your money rather than some new heavyweight bike that makes you lose interest.

Saccades
    Free Member

I did similar about 2 years ago, ended up with a 14" inbred as no-one else came close on price.

We still only ride to the local beaches and duck pond but it's a lot more often now.

I did similar about 2 years ago, ended up with a 14" inbred as no-one else came close on price.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Pink Scandal

cinnamon_girl

Draw up a list of frames together with their weights.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

ok somthing defo in the water, must be all the "sun" were getting cos i' doing the same

managed to get a Kona Scrap frame, headset, cranks, pedals, cassette, front and rear mech, tyres, chain, seat post, bars, steam and saddle delivered for 125 quid!! all by putting a wanted add on here

building it up with some old Giant MPH brake ive got and some deore wheelsets and suntour forks stripped of an old spare bike and sorted!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I did exactly the same for my wife but she had on old hardrock before. I got her a Kinesis XC2 – £210 – I got one as well – apart from thin paintwork (not a problem for easy riding) and sligthly softer tubes (i.e. dentable on hard knocks) is a great value frame and great geometry (Kinesis TW make a lot of the main brand frames!). Have a look at the very least?

Linky

epicsteve
    Free Member

I doubt you'll find a better option than the Inbred. Not only is it cheap but having rack mounts means it's easy to convert to commuter spec.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

On-One Scandal, you won't get a better XC frame £ for lb.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Got a small (can't remember exact size) Claude Butler Cape Wrath frame FS if you want it. Comes with seatpost, saddle, seat collar, FM, bars, stem, headset and Rockshox Judy forks. Black

Good nick. Was a mate's but too small for him hence selling.

£120 posted for the lot (or less for collected in Leeds).

timsellors{at}googlemail{dot}com

MrTall
    Free Member

Merlin are doing their malt 2 frame 30% off so only £140 now.

Weights from 3.5lbs the info bit says….

robidoo
    Free Member

I have seen an airborne liberator frame for sale for about £60 posted looks in good condition too.
    Let me know and I will find it for you.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Building up an xc Hard Tail for the gf’ is closed to new replies.