Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Building Regs and Fire Doors
  • stevenk4563
    Free Member

Struggling to find an answer to this so I thought I’d ask the STW hive mind 🙂

I have a kitchen that is separated from the lounge and stairwell by a single door, the door is currently a hardwood frame with 12 glass panels in it.

The question is, if I replace the door, do I have to replace it with a fire door?

matt_outandabout

Only if you are doing major building works to the property.

project
    Free Member

Not unless the existing door and frame are fire resisting, eg a lot thicker than a normal thickness door, unlikely that a 12 pannel door would be fire resiting

Drac

If it’s your own home, no.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Gotta love the hive mind, thanks guys 🙂

footflaps

If it’s your own home, no.

I thought that if you had more than two storeys then any door onto a landing / stairwell had to meet 30mins fire protection. Certainly when you do an attic conversion you have to swap out all hallway doors to fire resistant ones.

Drac

He’s replacing doors not doing a conversion.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Yep, just decorating and a bit of plastering, no major work, house only has 2 levels.

ski
    Free Member

Years back at work we had a visit by a fire officer who was not happy with the standard fire doors, So our MD just removed all the doors to all the offices, still remember the fire officers face when he returned 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

20 mins is acceptable.
    Standard 44mm will give you 30 mins, 54 mm will give you 60 mins.
    Any glass needs to be pyrostop or similar.
    And I’d suggest if that existing door was a fire door you’d be crying to the bank manager to get it swapped with the same amount of glass 😉

project
    Free Member

20 mins is acceptable.
    Standard 44mm will give you 30 mins, 54 mm will give you 60 mins

So long as its fitted in a suitable fire door frame, with intumescent seals all round and behind the hinges and any locks etc.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not true project. Doesn’t need intumescent in domestic. I thought it would but just built 5x 2 1/2 storey houses.

mrben100
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection…….

Drac – Moderator
    He’s replacing doors not doing a conversion.

What if the door he is replacing is already a fire door and there are no first floor windows that can be considered egress?

In the building regs, even when just replacing stuff, the idea on existing properties is to be at least, no less compliant than it was previously.

Edit: i do love the certainty, myself include, people have in their own comments based on very little information from the op, i love STW 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Building Regs and Fire Doors’ is closed to new replies.