Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Building plastic kits like air fix, tips please.
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

Hello my wife bought me a Tamiya plastic kit of my beloved car. I have seen a few threads on here and I’m looking for any tips. I’m guessing I can go to halfords and buy a primer and use the colour matched rattle cans and then apply a clear coat? I’m off to hobby craft to pick up some paints for the rest , sadly the local model shop has closed down 🙁

In work today I’m going to abuse the plastic printer to make some number plates 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

I would worry about using halfords paint on a plastic model . It may damage the surface you can get small spray guns for the proper enamels or acrylics. I remember you could get spray cans of enamel but in a limited range. To produce a cheap car paint effect I would use model paint applied with a decent “big” modelling brush undercoat then colour in thin washes and gloss or satin varnish over that . The varnish should give a sheen and a smooth look .

As my pics on the Xmas thread prove I am far from the best modeller on here.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks crankboy, how would it damage the surface? I thought as it is a spray used on plastic car parts it would be ok? I don’t mind buying a proper gun if that’s what’s needed. I’ve already eyed up my next kit, so it would be used again… 🙂

mogrim

I’d get a small, sacrificial model to practice on first – a cheap Spitfire or whatever. I got a model for my birthday last year and it was a lot harder to put together (and paint) than I remembered. This might be age (the pieces seem to have shrunk 😀 ) or it might be that I’m more of a perfectionist now, but either way I wouldn’t want to start on an expensive model without trying out my technique on something cheaper first.

Harry_the_Spider

how would it damage the surface?

by melting it.

Felofagen
    Free Member

I’m trying to find a way to match colours for a ‘beloved car’ model build project of my own. There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to match exactly, using the normal acrylic or enamel paints.

You are right about the use of car paint on plastic components, but most models are polystyrene rather than the ABS used in modern cars. There are primers used to key car components prior to the colour coat and I think experimentation with this process is the way forward

King-ocelot
    Free Member

…cheers folks 🙂

Currently in the studio printing off plastic swatches for a perfect number plate colour match 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need to match the number plate, there should be a decal specifically for the number plate. Most Tamiya & Revell car kits come in left hand drive so matching a uk plate wouldn’t make sense anyway. Also don’t forget your printer will not necessarily give accurate colour matches.

Tamiya also do a decent range of spray cans specifically for plastic model kits, they’re a cheaper option than buying an airbrush but very much for the large coverage. Thin coats, left to dry, then repeated are best. Finish with a coat or three of clear gloss varnish on the bodywork.
    Smaller parts are best done with a fine brush – 0 or 00 size – while still on the spruce.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need to match the number plate, there should be a decal specifically for the number plate. Most Tamiya & Revell car kits come in left hand drive so matching a uk plate wouldn’t make sense anyway. Also don’t forget your printer will not necessarily give accurate colour matches.

Our printers can match Pantone ref, part of my job is colour matching (product design) so in making colour swatches and matching them to my plate outside (yes I really am that bored in work)

I haven’t checked if it’s RHD or LHD! Haven’t opened the box yet. Did notice it’s a JDM version of the car though and the bumpers don’t have eu reflectors.

jimc101
    Free Member

If your looking at using a Halfords type rattle can paint, just prime the plastic, Halfords grey is perfectly good for this, and the Halfords colour will go on fine without damaging the plastic. Alternatively, use Tamiya TS (not PS) sprays

Klunk
    Free Member

how would it damage the surface?

by melting it.

depends on the paint you can get acrylic based spray cans from motor factors though they are not as common as the cellulose based ones.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Here’s one I did earlier

Er, ok not the image I was trying to use but you get the idea. Used Tamiya metallic black spray can & a coat or three of clear gloss. It’s a Tamiya Aston Martin DBS

Tip: spray the body before you put the glass , lights or chassis in.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Btw if you don’t have a local model shop, try http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk

therevokid
    Free Member

tamiya’s paint range is very good, and you can mix to match your colour
    needs.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I thought the local model shop had closed down as I stated above, delighted to find it’s now an independent store and was model zone before. Bought all the Tamiya paints I needed then popped in halfords for primer and a rattle can. Tested it on a spare bit from the box and it dried fine with no melting of the plastic.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Result 🙂

Oggles
    Free Member

Our Mrs bought us a Mini Countryman WRC starter set – which included some paints.

Now I’ve not done an airfix in probably 15 years, but I don’t remember the paints being this bad. Testing this white out on the inside of the shell and it just pools… Photo below is once dried. Should I just bin them and pick up some enamels?!

image by ben_oggles, on Flickr

crankboy
    Free Member

Wash the model while on the sprue in warm water with a little washing up liquid then rinse and leave to dry . removes greese from the mold . undercoat. For some I used to undercoat with thinned white enamel before painting with acrylics.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Good site here for forums/advice…
    http://www.britmodeller.com/

They have a non military vehicle section as well as advice on painting.

Oggles
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. I’ll give it a wash first.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Building plastic kits like air fix, tips please.’ is closed to new replies.