Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Building new bike. £60 to spend on toolkit. Any suggestions?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Will need the following – SRAM BB tool, chain whip, freewheel tool, tyre levers, pedal spanners. I have a set of allen keys, socket set, screwdrivers already.

Anyone recommend a good kit.

Was looking at FWE on Evans website, and X-tools on CRC.

drofluf
    Free Member

Wouldn’t buy a toolkit but just buy good quality versions of the tools that you need that way you can slowly build up a set of tools that will last and not bend/round off after a few uses.

bokonon
    Free Member

Surely the only tool you really need is the BB tool – because it’s specific, it’s nice to have the right tools, but you can get away with much cheaper alternatives…

Chain whip – screw a chain to a piece of wood

Pedal Spanner – many pedals have an allen key fitting through the back of the crank arm, if not, then a normal spanner. I got my pedal spanner free with one of the kids bikes, to assemble it.

Tyre levers – you don’t already have tyre levers? none the less, rounded end cutlery, or cheapy cheapy plastic tyre levers.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Personally I have a cheapy bike hand toolkit that I got free 5 years back. it’s built several bikes and been used regularly all that time. You can pick them up for £30-40 and then as tools break, replace them with nice ones. In my case I’ve really not had to replace anything much.

takisawa2

Ice Toolz & (cough) Superstarcomponents are good value.

TiRed

A very good cable cutter. Mine was £20 from Screwfix. Wish I’d bought one earlier.

Ball ended allan keys too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Building new bike. £60 to spend on toolkit. Any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.