Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Building a yeti!!! Build questions
  • walla24
    Free Member

Very excited, stripping out both my bikes to build a yeti asr-5 😀
    Question is what forks/headset?

Have a set of 454 pike airs from another bike, are these good enough and is there a headset which will allow me to fit them (yeti is tapered headtube)

Or can you recommend some fox forks 150mm which would be suitable?

Thanks

walla24
    Free Member

thinking fox 32 talas 150?
    Whats with the qr15 axle, will this fit standard qr hubs?

takisawa2

Mate has just built such a beast. He’s fitted his DTSwiss forks, & they aren’t tapered. Think he used a King headset…

walla24
    Free Member

Hmm interesting, anybody else have any ideas?

bigrich

run your pikeys for a while; wait until the 2013 Fox forks come out, then watch the classifieds. The trend-mongers will drop thier suddenly obsolete forks for bargains. get some then.

the trick is with bikes is to make rational, not emotional purchases (for a given value of rational, natch).

Nonsense
    Free Member

You can get an adapter from Hope which let’s you run 1/18 forks in a tapered headset. Merlin have some great prices on Revelations.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

150mm is a bit long for an ASR5. Great deals on Fox Floats around at the mo. £330 for a taper steerer? Brilliant.

campfreddie
    Free Member

don’t go 150mm for the fox, a set of 32 140 rlc’s with a tapered steerer (and 15mm qr) will be absolutely fine… alternatively, a set of revelations would also work well.

the asr5 has the capability to be quite light, so there is no point in weighing it down with 2kg+ forks.

i ride with rlc 120’s and tbh, they handle everything perfectly… i can do the final descent of the skyline @ afan flat out without getting out of depth… if you go to 140mm, it will of course be better, but the climbing abilities will be compromised a little.

of course, if you are not interested in the climbing abilities, perhaps the 575 or sb66 would be better choices for you?

Kryton57

what campfreddie said (plus I also ride with 120mm and my experience is the same). The bike is tremendously capable.

Note though, I believe ASR-5 are only warrantied/rated to 140 so check that out before youo void it by putting 150 on it.

I can’t think that it’d look right on it anyway.

pinetree
    Free Member

Yo,

I’ve just built my new asr 5 and taken it out for its first spin on sunday. All I can say is What a bike!
    I’ve put a lefty max on mine with a 1 1/8″ steerer and a flush reducer cup on the bottom, and it’s absolutely ace.

The thing you have to bear in mind is that if you’re running a tapered fork you’ll need the external headset, or if you’re running a reducer you can get away with a flush cup. As long as the outer diameter of the cup where it presses into the frame is 49.7 (cane creek call it a zs49/30) http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headset_Instructions/XX%20Series/XXc%20II%20Flush%20Instructions.pdf

The ASR is indeed warrantied up to 140 with a 520mm A2C height.

Happy days!

monkeyboyjc

Personaly i’d run the pikes, and buy a tapered headset. Useing it with one of these, then when the time comes and you want to upgrade to a tapered fork you can use the 1&1/2 crown race from the headset.

Kryton57

@pinetree – any pics? I’m curious to see what an ASR-5 with a Lefty looks like….

dan45a
    Free Member

I run a fox float 140 RLC on my ASR5C with a tapered hope headset. When I built it up I got my exisiting 1/18 fork steerer upgraded to tapered with a service at mojo. I can feel the benefit of the tapered fork much more than I expected.

140mm feels perfect on the asr5 to me, slack enough to really push it on the descents and had no issues with climbing at all. As the bike is quite long you have lots of room to move your weight around for steep technical climbs.

They are awesome bikes!!

pinetree
    Free Member

@ Kryton57

I’m off out on a ride tonight, and it’s sunny so I might grab a nice pic or two. I’ll keep you posted 😉

superhooper

@pinetree – Out of interest, where did you get your lefty from?

pinetree
    Free Member

I bought it from CSG through my old shop. Any Cannondale dealer should be able to get ahold of one though.

walla24
    Free Member

Cool thanks for the responses and links, looks like 140mm will be enough will keep an eye out in the classifieds 🙂

walla24
    Free Member

ahem feel free to post up pics of your builds too, very interested!

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Just built an AS5 up myself. Rode it for the first time on Sunday. Bloody amazing!!!!
    Got a pair of RCT3 revelations (150 dual air) very cheap with standard steeter – they are just an amazing fork – spaced down to 130mm they blow float 32’s out of the water
    Uisng hope headset – 1/18 standard top 1.5 standard cup bottom with the hope reduce crown race. Works a treat

dan45a
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of mine: –

IMG_5241

Fox Float 140’s
    Formula R1 brakes
    Hope pro 2 hubs on crest rims
    Easton Haven bars/Thomson stem
    RS Reverb
    XT drive train
    wieghs in at 26lb

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Nice one dan45a, looks great! Was wondering how to route the reverb with the frame 🙂

I’ve just bought this…

…and I can’t wait for the shop to finish the build and get out and ride it. Just waiting for the 2013 kit to turn up now but it should be ready by the end of the month.

Gone with Fox Float 140 CTD TS QR15, 142×12 bolt through back end, XT drivetrain and brakes, ProII Evos on Flows, Conti RQ 2.2 F / X-King 2.2 R, Reverb, Thomson stem and Easton Haven bars.

I’ve wanted one ever since they were released. Their write-up sounded like the type of bike would suit my riding style and type of riding I prefer. Saved my pennies. Took an ASR 5 alloy for a spin last month on a couple of regular trails I’ve ridden for the past few years and was seriously impressed. So hit the ‘buy now’ button 🙂

dan45a
    Free Member

@KingofBiscuits – thats sounds a great build. Them XT brakes are awesome, they were on my demo bike. Dare I say they felt better than my R1’s!!

I almost went for the turquoise text version…sort of wish I did now.

The reverb routing is the low point of the bike really. My LBS did mine using a cable tie system along the top tube which looks ok but is by no means perfect…but the benefits of the reverb are worth it.

walla24
    Free Member

Ok so have picked up some cheap (ish) tapered fox 140’s, so what headset can I buy? confused with ID/OD shiz!

think there is one from FSA, Hope and Chris King?

Superficial
    Free Member

I ran my ASR-5 with my Pikes for a month or so. Nothing wrong with it at all, but it feels wrong to be running such heavy forks on a light frame – the forks weigh almost as much as the frame! I changed to some Revelation RCT3s and haven’t looked back – they’re better in every way.

Does the carbon version not have reverb guides then? My alloy one does.

walla24
    Free Member

can anybody help with which headsets will fit please?

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Run a hope headset (pick and mix range) on my ASR5 with a tapered fork.

bigjim

hope pick n mix on my 1 1/8 steerer too. Going to buy some 2013 revs with taper though.

kevin1911

Just ordered myself an ASR5 – anyone care to share where these bargain Fox 140 forks with tapered steerers can be found?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Bikescene in Guisborough had them.

kevin1911

Blimey – those are indeed quite a bargain. Do you happen to know if either of them have the kashima coating?

Superficial
    Free Member

The 2012 ones should have – 2011 no.

slowboydickie

The ASR5 is warrantied upto 150 or so I was told by the importer. Talas 150 works well with 120 on the ups and flat.

mike88
    Free Member

Interesting! Will be awaiting a parcel!

Superficial
    Free Member

Everything I’ve heard says the frame is ‘designed’ for 120-140mm forks. Whether yeti consider 150mm to be simply suboptimal, or warranty-voiding, I don’t know (but I’d want to be absolutely sure before using it). Either way, at 150mm the front end would be a bit ‘wandery’ so I think 140 is a sensible maximum.

Having said that, I don’t know how manufacturers think they can tell that a customer was using a 140mm fork vs 150mm from simply inspecting the frame.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Building a yeti!!! Build questions’ is closed to new replies.