Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Building a Wheel – Park TS-2 Stand
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Quick question; using a Pak TS-2 stand to build a rear wheel. I’ve got the wheel ‘properly’ dished, but if I take it out, reverse it in the stand it goes 4 or 5 mm out of dish.

The stand has self-centring feelers, so this shouldn’t happen should it? What have I missed?

Cheers

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’ve checked the stand itself and the feelers do seem to be centred in the stand.

kilo

Not got the ts2 but the cheaper park stand so may not be of any use;

1) is the wheel axle sitting correctly in the cups

2) is the stand put together tightly, on my stand one side moved slightly when the qr was done up until I gave all the bolts a good tighten up

TheBrick
    Free Member

You can adjust where the centre feelers are, pull them apart and there are two bolts.

IF the wheel is properly dished and the feelers are out of centre then the feelers will be tight on one side and loose on one side whichever way the wheel is in the stand. The wheel will not move relative to the feelers whether the stand is correctly centred or not.

It sounds like your wheel is not dished correctly. How have you checked you dishing?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I don’t have anything to check the dishing with, but I can check that the feelers are centred in the stand, they are.

I’m mounting the wheel in exactly the same way, but alternating it between the two possible orientations. With the cassette to the left the rim is correctly dished, but with the cassette tot he right the wheel is out by 4-5mm.

If the wheel was incorrectly dished then it shouldn’t be right in either orientation, which leaves the feeler gauges being uncentred. But they aren’t.

So either I’m missing something or I’m confused?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I only ever build off one of the guages anyway and just flip the wheel periodically (its how I learnt many moons ago on a broken jig but I still do it now).Its too easy for the stand to get knocked out of true.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If it’s like the one we had at work, it’ll only centre up on front or rear wheels.. if you calibrate it for a 100mm width, the jaws will be out for 135 and vice versa.
    If the rim moves over when you flip it, then it has to be mis-dished. If it’s miscalibrated then the error will be the same regardless.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If the rim moves over when you flip it, then it has to be mis-dished. If it’s miscalibrated then the error will be the same regardless.

Exactly the feelers will be out the same amount whichever way you put the wheel in. Your wheel is not dished correctly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

You say you can’t check the dish. Drop it in your bike and see if it looks central. 5mm will show up like this. Then you’ll know if it’s the wheel or the jig.

johnfb
    Free Member

Have you tried the old french cafe trick? Balance the rim on two identical coffee cups and build a stack of coins up under the hub until it meets the axle. Flip the wheel over and you can tell if and how far its out of centre by looking at the gap at the stack or the cups.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Re the calibration, the feelers are exactly in the centre of the stand, I’ve measures this every way possible.

Am I right in thinking that the centre of the frame of the bike is in the centre between the dropouts? What I mean is that the jig matches the rear of the bike?

I’m not sure why it would make a difference what the hub spacing was if the rim should be exactly central between the dropouts?

I’m still at a loss as to why the wheel is correctly dished when in the stand one way round, but massively out when it’s the otherway around, with the feelers being in the centre of the wheel. Will try the french trick to measure the dish as the bike is downstairs…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

have you got a correctly dished rear wheel put that in and measure
    If still out whatever the issue is your stand is measuring incorrectly fix this
    If it is fine then your wheel is out of dish.
    repeat with a front wheel given advice above
    the wheelstand may not be centering the hub correctly – even though the guage is in the right place ie between the forks. Due to this non centering the “mid” point [which is off/wrong] changes when you flip the wheel. It is out by half the distance of the movement from one flip to the other.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The dishing is out by about 4mm.

Junkyard
    Free Member

bummer tiral and error time – pull it over to the side it is out and use your trick to measure

cookeaa

your stand is out 2-3mm to one side the 5mm you’re seeing on reversal of the wheel is obvious evidence of this, the error is effectivly doubled by reversing the wheel, the stand is out of calibration…. FACT!

cookeaa

your stand is out 2-3mm to one side the 5mm you’re seeing on reversal of the wheel is obvious evidence of this, the error is effectivly doubled by reversing the wheel, the stand is out of calibration…. FACT!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I don’t have a definitely true wheel I can try because mine are all a bit out.

I can’t see how the stand can be out, I’ve measured it everyway possible, and the feelers are in the middle of the stand. Yet the wheel is 4mm out.

Still confused, but at least I can check the dishing with the cups and coins.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Stand is brand new, never used by the way.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the feelers are in the middle of the stand but the middle of the hub is not in the middle of the stand when inserted hence the dishing error.

TheBrick
    Free Member

£200 wheel building stand and no dishing stick.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’m borrowing it, but I didn’t think I needed a dishing gauge with the auto-centring feelers.

The hub is central in the stand, I’ve checked how it is inserted several times as that was the only way I could see it being wrong.

Just doesn’t make sense at all as I know the feelers are in the middle of the stand. 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

Then the wheel is dished hence why everything measures up but the wheel.
    If you measure to one side and pull the wheel ove 2mm out of dish and it is staright there when you flip it there will be a gap of 4 mm.
    you have not dished it you have lined it upon one side but not to the middle. Have you used the correct width for your rim ie half the width when truing it?
    You have made it straight but out of dish- pulled over to one side. if dished and centred it wont be out when flipped Only dishing [ if that stand is true] does what you say.
    Adjust feeler by half the dish retrue for dish – pull over to one side flip and it should not be out
    as i said stand true = dished wheel

Speshpaul

£200 wheel building stand and no dishing stick. + 1

You don’t dish a wheel in a jig, you true it.
    You use a dishing gauge to check the dish.
    I made mine from a piece of hard board from the back of a old wardrobe.
    It works.

rootes1

You can make a dishing gauge from a sheet of stiff card, an old spoke and two zip ties… cheap accurate and useful.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah, ok, so I need a dishing gauge type thing, which I can sort to get this right.

I still don’t understand why the self-centring feelers, which are centred are giving a problem though. Does the rim always sit exactly in the centre between the drop outs? It must,mustn’t it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

“you don ‘ t dish a wheel in a jig , you true it.”

what a bunch of arse.

firestarter
    Free Member

My mate has the park one and his feeler things are out too. my Hozan one has feelers you adjust each side manually and dish using dishing tool

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve used a couple of Park stands and the dishing gauges were out on both.

Park stuff is overrated.

coatesy
    Free Member

Probably not your problem, but have you considered a bent hub axle?

matthew_h
    Free Member

It could be that the cuts outs in the arms that the hub sits into are not quite cut the same and the hub axle is slighty different heights on either side. Hence the hub axle is not perfectly parallel to the base of the stand allowing the hub to be central between the arms and everything measure up but the rim be out of central at the feelers. Would only take a tiny discrepancy to cause a couple of mm difference at the rim

adscatt
    Free Member

Paul, the rim does sit exactly in the middle of the lock-nuts, so the only way the dish can be out is you have calculated your spoke length wrong by 1-2mm,providing the spokes aren’t too long the difference should be able to be taken up without a problem but you will need a dishing tool.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Does the rim always sit exactly in the centre between the drop outs? It must,mustn’t it?

if the stand is true and the wheeldished evenly then YES
    you have trued it not dished it mine are out if that help but it is not a park one

Speshpaul

“cynic-al – Member
    “you don ‘ t dish a wheel in a jig , you true it.”
    what a bunch of arse.

cynic-al – Member
    I’ve used a couple of Park stands and the dishing gauges were out on both.
    Park stuff is overrated. “

Well i think i’ll quote you’re “what a bunch of arse” comment to sum up your grasp of the problem.

Paul – make a gauge (get Roger’s/wheelpro book online) and you’ll suit it out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF?

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Building a Wheel – Park TS-2 Stand’ is closed to new replies.