Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Building a shopper with bits from the spares bin (Frankenstein bike build…)
  • zaskar
    Free Member

I needed a bike to ride in all-weather conditions, solid, brakes in the wet, handles well but comfy, carries my luggage and short shopping trips and goes anywhere and looks great!

ok didn't manage that last bit as it's an eye-sore…just need a kickstand… ;O)

From the spares bin- slx-lx and a rear carrier, old bike I used for recovery from injury and a surly big dummy fork :O)

It rides really well but looks…well at least the theif will be put off… 😆

druidh
    Free Member

Looks perfect. What's the issue?

zaskar
    Free Member

druidh you are too kind Sir!

druidh
    Free Member

Well – I didn't want to mention that you have too much seatpost showing….

bassspine
    Free Member

looks a bit posh for a shopper bike!

zaskar
    Free Member

Weighs a ton too (glad I use mtb ratios when carrying stuff uphill)
    Tyres are 860grams each!?

Hmm the saddle is high! -bit more aero?

Funny thing is, in the wet I can brake safely and downhill in the wet around a bend-it's mental-knee off the ground and tons of grip.

Although I shall be riding slowly and letting th eold ladies overtake me.

zaskar
    Free Member

Just weighed it at 13kg with all the luggage 😀

28.6lbs but it feels heavier!

juiced
    Free Member

nowt wrong with that. Seriously, looks great!

Retrodirect
    Free Member

That looks real tidy. I want your spares bin! want it to look gash? cover it in random bits of electrical tape and never clean it, ever.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Hi Brid!

zaskar
    Free Member

Is it a hybrid with 26" wheels? I haven't bought a basket yet but would like a kickstand-as sad it sounds lol.

Thanks for the kind comments. 😛

(Ppl really cover their bikes in electrical tape?!!) 😉

stuey
    Free Member

Ditto – " i want your spare parts bin'

The reflective tyres look like a good idea – and gawd you've got me googling full length mud guards as well!

zaskar
    Free Member

I wasn't happy about the mudguards as I had to really fiddle things to fit (who doesn't right?) and the crown of the fork was so high up above tyre and left the mudguard too high so I dug up some bracketing and got it low enough to work and look ok-still a bit high but at least I can use 2.1" off road tyres if ever it snowed heavily again lol.

All I haven't got is a kick/propstand which is either a £6 cheap thing or £20 for heavy duty?!

I guess when you have luggage you really need one if there are no walls etc.

bassspine
    Free Member

are the tyres Schwalbe marathon plus? If so how batsard hard were they to fit?

(I have some on my hybrid and ended up using pedal straps to hold one side on while I worked round the wheel…brilliant winter tyres though)

zaskar
    Free Member

I fitted them no problem bassspine but if I didn't use fairy liquid I would be swearing all right!

Always check the sizes as some 26×1.35 and 26×1-3/4(tight fit.)

If you can't get the tyre on, try some fairy liquid and water-make it soapy in a bucket and sponge the rim and tyre-presto it slides on, dries in seconds and super sticky -so don't put your inner tube on till it's dry. Works with Grips too that won't slide on.

You haven't tried fitted tyres to a pal's Honda cub 90 scooter…$£%$£%£! broke all nylon levers too. 😈

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Building a shopper with bits from the spares bin (Frankenstein bike build…)’ is closed to new replies.