Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Building a shed – verandas
  • jam-bo

inspired by mcmoonter, I fancy building something along these lines:

However. Planning rules on sheds/outbuildings:

– No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.

Does that count as a veranda?

STATO
    Free Member

I spotted that rule when planning my shed, i took it to mean raised verandas (so to stop you overlooking your neighbours) so im planning a bit of ground level decking just under the overhanging roof 😉 …well maybe, construction stage is far far away.

jam-bo

hmmm. I could ask the local duty planner but wondering if just build and be damned is a better approach…

poly
    Free Member

Worth checking – but I think “raised” = > 50cm off the ground at any point.

STATO
    Free Member

not to divert the question but when planning what constitutes ‘the ground’ that you measure from. I have a sloped garden and plan a big shed, max planning height is 2.5m but where from. So same for this. If i terrace my garden then build a platform on that, then does that pass?

(note; i wont be building anything that annoys the neighbours, they are lovely people)

jam-bo

dropped an email to an architect I know. sounds like a positive take on it:

I assume this is in reference to the permitted development issue of:

No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.

While this statement seems clear – I feel there would be some discretion involved regarding the roofline – In the image you showed, the roofline continues over the ‘veranda’ and so all that differentiates it from the rest of the ‘outbuilding’ is that it does not have walls between the supports – this makes it much less of a veranda than one which is added onto another roofline.
    The fact that these open walls could be blocked up if required would give me the confidence to see if permitted development would be excepted (it would need to be actively challenged otherwise)

STATO
    Free Member

Ah yes, the old ‘I dont know but i guess it’ll be ok’ answer. Good to know qualified people are as baffled by regs as everyone else some times.

jam-bo

well, if I build it with the outside dimensions within the size and height limits then at worst case I can just move the outside walls…

franksinatra

If that architecture doesn’t work out for your pal then he should be able to move over law quite easily, that is a great legal answer.

Probably fine, but I am covering myself by saying possibly not. Probably.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I just built a whole house with veranda… might be a bit small for a big person though……

jam-bo

this was he follow up reply when I asked about asking the local duty planning officer…

My opinion about the duty planning officer is that its the sort of differentiation they would rather not give an official opinion on – They would likely be very uninterested unless complaints were made given the subtleties involved.

footflaps

They would likely be very uninterested unless complaints were made given the subtleties involved.

pretty much applies to all planning, no one from planning visits to check your extension / out house etc, unless a neighbour complains….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Building a shed – verandas’ is closed to new replies.