Home Forums Chat Forum Building a PC from second hand parts (Zwift)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Building a PC from second hand parts (Zwift)
  • nathb
    Free Member

I want to build a dedicated Zwift PC with decent graphics to sit in the garage (insulated) so my main PC can still be in the office (3rd floor, so long HDMI cables out of the question). I have a PC monitor ready to be wall mounted, plenty of HDDs and a nice integrated keyboard with trackpad.

The requirements I’m working to are for extreme settings (plus in case a Zwift alternative comes along):

Firstly other than eBay/gumtree are there any other decent sites I should be looking at for used computer components?

My first pass at specs has a PC looking like:

Standard stuff:
    Case & 500w PSU amazon – 35 cheap & awful 😆
    CPU Cooler amazon – 10
    8gb 2x4gb DDR3 ram – 30 (circa.ebay)

Bits I’m not sure about (all from eBay):
    Intel Core i5-3470S
    Intel DQ67SW LGA1155 – literally the only non ridiculously expensive mobo available for 1155

ATI R7 270X GPU – can be had for around 60

Total all in is circa 200

Intel is new to me, I’m not sure if I should be avoiding the 1155 socket in favour of the more recent 1150? Thoughts?

Ta

wwaswas

Could you cut down the spec and just use it as a terminal to RDP up to the main PC for that to do all the complicated stuff?

nathb
    Free Member

Is there a way of getting the usb inputs (Bluetooth/ant+) up to the main pc too?

wwaswas

You can give the PC you’re RDPing to access to local ports and drives when you connect.

Note: I have not done this with Zwift enabled Turbos myself, just printers, HDD’s etc.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Make sure your OS drive is an SSD otherwise it’ll be painful.

nathb
    Free Member

I guess I can test this later with my laptop and pc, see if I can get the laptop to transmit my HR to Zwift,

If that’s the case I may just buy one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-8000-Elite-USDT-Dual-Core-E5400-2-70Ghz-2GB-250GB-Windows-10-Pro-V1709/272896634488?hash=item3f89e82e78:g:Z88AAOSwxzdZ66TF and stick an SSD in it..

mrjmt
    Free Member

I don’t have a lot to add, other than the spec you’re aiming for is looking for an i7 but you’ve stated an i5?

And that I had that mobo for quite a while, used for 2D CAD stuff and some lightroom. Was decent enough, found it was one of the only ones with USB3.0 which is why I went for that one.

nathb
    Free Member

was hoping the GPU could take up the slack on the CPU front…

GeForceJunky

If you can run a network cable to the garage, could try using Steam link. It’s cheap and google seems to suggest it works with Zwift. I use it for gaming in the kitchen, works well over ethernet but less well over wifi.

fifeandy
    Free Member

was hoping the GPU could take up the slack on the CPU front.

Unfortunately the GPU is also below the extreme specs

Ewan
    Free Member

I am planning on doing something similar. Rather than build from scratch my plan is:

– buy a SFF PC off ebay (e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ProDesk-600-G1-500GB-Intel-i5-4570-4th-Gen-3-2GHz-4GB-SFF-PC-Win10-Pro/292313634304?epid=219496442&hash=item440f401600:g:YKAAAOSwj99Z-Rc5)
    – stick a low profile 1050ti graphic card in it – approx 125 quid, maybe a 750ti to save a bit of money
    – replace the harddrive with an SSD I have lying around

Hopefully be less than 250 quid and should be fine for swift at high settings, based on https://zwiftalizer.com/benchmarks (just search for the graphics card you’re considering and there will be a matching processor for most things).

The main issue is that the HPs have small power supplies, but various youtube videos suggest a low profile graphics card will be ok.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ha, I was about to say new Apple TV. 150 quid for the HD version 🙂

From dcrainmaker…

I haven’t run the 4K and non-4K versions side to by side, though Zwift says the 4K variant will roughly double the frame rates you’ll see.

Probably worth getting the 4k version!

Northwind

For kit like this, enthusiast forums can be a good source- my PCs are usually made out of last generation cool parts, because they depreciate so hard and fast- I go on Overclockers UK and sweep up all the stuff the mad people have discarded as it’s 1% slower.

Ewan
    Free Member

Ooo, tempted to put my dislike of apple to one side…

chewkw
    Free Member

Ohhh … more computer I like … 😛

scaredypants

I’m not knocking it, but why do you want to, nath ?

Mine runs on an old telly, so 720p or whatever and the only things I’d like to improve are the text size on-screen and my internet speed, as every now & then I get a hiccup and lose a few yards on the group I’m in. (I don’t know what that’s caused by but I can’t see how it’s the graphics)

edit: scrap that – I see, you don’t have a garage pc at all at the moment ?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Apple TV thing looks like a great way to get started

fisha
    Free Member

The GPU is what drives the quality in zwift. I have a fairly decent laptop with a quad core i7 cpu. Monitoring zwift running shows it only loads the CPU to around 15-20%. An i5 CPU should handle it no problem.

I have a mobile gtx 1060 gpu in the laptop and the frame rate is capped at 60fps. With zwift set to show current frame rate, it’s pegged solidly at 60fps … It only dips from 60 when updating the player lists and riders nearby … Even then it only dips to 56fps and then goes right back up.

I’ve also increased the foliage to double the standard amount.

So I’d try and go for the best GPU you can.

Hard drives / SSD …. Let’s be honest, if you start zwift you normally fanny about with the bike and sensors and everything else … So the longer load time of a cheaper hdd will not matter cause youre doing other things then anyway.

nathb
    Free Member

Scaredy – squinting at an iPad at the moment, and although I’ve got one of those cables that connects it to the monitor the graphics are distracting to say the least 😆 (this setup is for my new man cave).

I’ll join Overclockers – cheers for the suggestion!

Ewan – I looked at that originally, but the psu is a right faff to change apparently, then you are limited on GPU size too – low profile cards tend to hold the value more?!

Going to try the terminal option later.

Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve put in a cheeky eBay offer for a prodesk. If I get it it’ll still be cheap even factoring in the more expensive graphics card.

nathb
    Free Member

Think you’re on to something there!!

Can pick up an i3 version with 500gb and 8gb for less than £100. Ditch the case and psu for £25 and add a gpu of any size/power (so not restricted to low profile). Jobs a good en!!

kelron
    Free Member

I’d recommend not going ‘cheap and awful’ for the case and PSU.

Cheap cases can be a pain to work with, and cheap PSUs can be outright dangerous.

Get something from the budget range of an established brand.

nathb
    Free Member

CIT not established? Seem to be getting alright reviews ok amazon.

rob
    Free Member

Some of those small form factor hp won’t run a graphics card , i3 and gtx 750 on mine takes 5 mins to boot up and is a bit glitchy, needs a bios update but non available from hp

Ewan
    Free Member

Rob which HP do you have? I’ve seen a few posts and you tube videos saying a 1050ti low profile is fine with one of the prodesk G1 s

zilog6128

Use an iPad Pro currently which has an OK screen size but tempted to look for a BF deal on a cheap, big-ass telly for my Zwift setup as I already have a (non 4k) ATV4 I can use. What’s the optimum screen size do we reckon?

kelron
    Free Member

CIT not established? Seem to be getting alright reviews ok amazon.

I don’t know it myself, it might be fine but definitely do your homework on PSUs. A lot of the big brands are rebadged models from a handful of OEMs anyway, but they at least have some quality control and go through certification.

It’s like buying off brand lithium batteries or phone chargers. They can have 99% good reviews but if the remaining 1% catch fire or electrocute someone it’s not worth the risk.

nathb
    Free Member

Oo something like this is looking good: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Pro-3500-MT-PC-Core-i5-3470-3rd-Gen-Quad-Core-4GB-DDR3-Ram-500GB-HDD-DVD-RW/253270423192?hash=item3af817f698:g:cmAAAOSwGPxaFBPH

I use this computer at work and it’s fine.

Extra ram, psu and gpu and we are good to go!

markshires
    Free Member

I’ve got most of a spare pc sat doing nothing, I can’t remember the specs but I’m a 3D artist so it was pretty good about 4 years ago ish.

My hard drive died earlier this year and I used it as a time to upgrade it. (I believe that’s what happened to it anyway)

If anyone interested I’ll find out the specs and value.

rob
    Free Member

Ewan I think it’s a hp pro 3300

P-Jay
    Free Member

Rob which HP do you have? I’ve seen a few posts and you tube videos saying a 1050ti low profile is fine with one of the prodesk G1 s

The problem with doing that is the PSU. I’ve done the same thing at home with a 750Ti for my son for a Minecraft PC (it’ll run most PC games too) but they come with a 220W PSU, you really need double that and it’s not easy to upgrade them as HP have ‘funny connections’ according to the Techies in work.

nathb
    Free Member

Mark – maybe interested pending spec etc

nathb
    Free Member

Just put a cheeky offer in on a i5 4570 PC.

But in the meantime I’ve got the ant+ stick on my laptop to feed my HR to Zwift running on the desktop using “virtualhere”.

crosshair
    Free Member

Nath, I’m pretty sure without an i7, you don’t even get to see the Ultra graphics option……

Sorry if this is addressed somewhere above but ^^ is all gobbledegook to me 😆

fossy

HD on Zwift is more than enough – TBH, the graphics aren’t worthy of that resolution…

Ultra..hah haha… really

It is like playing a game from 10-15 years ago. PS I use it, it’s better than a blank wall.

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah it’s more about future proofing slightly too!

I think LGA1150 should be a little more future proof than 775! 😆

I know nothing about intel though, my main PC is a Ryzen 1600…

nathb
    Free Member

My cheeky offer was accepted on this:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292313634304
    Just need to add some more ram, and then see what case/psu options I have.

CPU alone was £90 so happy with that!

Ewan
    Free Member

Ha – unbelievable – that’s the same one I had a cheeky offer in. I guess your offer was less cheeky than mine. 😆

Now need to find another one to fit the graphics card I have one order…

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I really must stick an ad in the classifieds with all the spare PC kit I have laying about… Sounds like you lot would have snaffled it all up 😀

The i5-4570 CPU in that ebay machine is a pretty decent – especially if you have a mobo that lets you turbo boost all the cores to 3.6GHz. It’s enough that it can keep my GTX 980Ti running full whack at 1440p. There is simply no need for the expensive i7’s or crazy over-clocks for the majority of games IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Building a PC from second hand parts (Zwift)’ is closed to new replies.