Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Building a bike…to do or not to do?
  • albino
    Free Member

I'm waiting on some insurance money and should have around £2k to sort out a sub 30 lb "do-it-all" bike. My initial thoughts were to look for a second-hand bike along the lines of an Orange 5 pro, Zesty 514, Cove Hustler, Chumba VF2 etc.

However I've seen a few nice frames on various classifieds for around the £800-£1000 mark and was thinking about a first-time custom build. I've already got some Fox Floats to go on whatever frame I choose which so after a few rough calculation I reckon I'd have plenty of money to sort out a decent spec components wise, (i.e. Hope M4 brakes, xtr shifters, xt mechs etc).

Not having done this before, is there anything I need to be aware of? How much would it roughly cost to get a LBS to build it assuming I sources the parts from various places? Build time's not an issue as I'm out of action for a few weeks anyway.

Any thoughts and ideas appreciated!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Buy some tools and do it yourself. Much more fun.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Just do it. Buy a frame of your choice, wheels etc, and get cracking. You'll love it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Buy some tools and do it yourself. Much more fun.

+1 and the tools and new found fettling skills will be an investment for future repairs.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Probably cheaper to buy a complete bike unless you start using second hand parts.

kiwijohn

Do it!
    Buy what you want for your dream bike. Just never add up what it costs. I certainly haven't.

albino
    Free Member

Cheers, I like the idea of building it myself but reckon I'd need a mentor to oversee what I'm doing so I don't stuff it up!

Dibbs – You're probably right but of all the bikes I've seen there's always at least 2 or 3 components that I'd want to change which would probably end up costing more in the long run. I'm not tuling it out though as there are some tasty bikes out there!

backhander
    Free Member

Do it yourself, it's not difficult at all. I normally get a bike shop to press the headset in but that's all. It's very rewarding and gives you a good understanding of how th bits on your bike work. You'll need a load of allen keys, a BB spanner, a cassette tool, some spanners and very little else. Certainly cheaper than using a bike shop and there's plenty of support on here! Hope you enjoy it.

mooman
    Free Member

Some parts are best new and some parts are best to get 2nd hand – but theres so many deals about on new frames, forks, wheels and chainsets its easy to build a fantastic bike for less than a grand.

bigrich

it'll be unique*, and it'll be yours.

*maybe not for the right reasons, but unique nonetheless

geetee1972
    Free Member

I'll echo all the comments about building it yourself and support the idea of getting the bike shop to fit the headset. This is one of those jobs that's easy to do at home once you have the (very expensive) tool that does the job. You can get cheaper tools or even improvise with wood blocks and a hammer, but it's not easy to do it this way and easy to get it wrong.
    The other thing to think about getting the LBS to do is cutting the steerer and fitting the star spangled nut as this is another dedicated tool job and also easy to get wrong, but it sounds like this would already be done with an existing pair of forks.

Building a bike these days is simply about bolting components on; it's almost impossible to stuff it up. The only way you could really go wrong is if the BB cups are hard to get in. Sometimes they can be a tight fit and you mustn't confuse having crossed the threads up with this otherwise you'll damage the threads in the frame.
    The only part that needs a little skill is setting the gears up but seriously once you've read the instructions it's really easy.

Takes me about 60 minutes to assemble a bike from scratch and get everything tuned right and it's a lot of fun.

Paulio
    Free Member

It may or may not make economic sense but you get the exact spec that you want and learn loads. It's actually a pretty straight forward thing to do and you can always ask your LBS to fix anything that, ahem, 'a friend' did 😉

I found the repair section of the Park Tool website a great help building up my first bike.

Get some good quality allen keys, ask your LBS to install the headset cups and maybe the star nut and just buy the tools as you need them. I've accumulated a useful toolkit this way so repairs are quick and easy.

andytherocketeer

+1 for getting headset fitted by whomever supplies the frame, or at LBS (and BB shells too if they're pressfit)
    Other than that everything else is effectively bike maintenance, pretty much, with the exception of cutting the fork steerer tube to length.

Another +1 for Park Tools website, especially the bits about adjusting gears, etc.

jeffdoran
    Free Member

I was in a very similar position about a month ago. Bought a used cove hustler frame, cleaned it up, new decals, mixture of some of my existing components plus some new ones. LBS inserted headset for less than a tenner. Looks sweet, is exactly my specification and hasn't cost me much cash. Have learnt loads along the way and it's been fun fun fun!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You could probably buy a new frame with a warrenty and then get all the bits second hand and put it together yourself for £2k

stumpyjon

Do what I did, get the frame, take it to Ride On in Rawtenstall, get them to face the BB and sort the headset out. Spend lots of money in the shop (helps making sure you get the right mech, QR for the saddle etc. plus if you spend as much as I did you’ll get the BB & headset done for free 😉 ).

If you get stuck there’s plenty of us locally who will help. I’m just up the road, north of Bacup. As the others have said building a bike up with new parts is relatively easy. It’s more difficult (and time consuming) stripping and servicing an old bike when bits have seized, then you can need the dark arts of the LBS.

kaesae
    Free Member

I think you should build the bike yourself and go second hand, that way if you don’t like any of the parts you can resell and and buy other ones.

I’m a proffesional ebay trader so I can talk you through buying parts and checking them. Ebay’s a pain but if you ask the right questions you have 45 days to return anything you buy. It’s good to have that safety net.

As for fitting tools, there are a lot of quality tools that don’t cost all that much. Cyclus headset fitting tool is only £29.99 http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/38/cyc720009/cyclus-headset-press-1-and-1-18.html and I use mine more often than my park tools one. If you have mates that also ride bikes just chip in and buy some tools that everyone can use.

Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance and park tools big blue book of bicycle repair. Great reference books that you can carry about and keep in the work shop.

As we speak I’m helping with 5 bike builds including bearing removal and installation, I can help you find the parts check them and service anything that needs done.

colande
    Free Member

albino
    look to see if there are any bike shops that do an open workshop for a small fee where you are able to use the full workshop and tools and also mechanic on site for help.

I know in bristol there are a few places that do “bike kitchens” as they are called, for a fiver you have complete use of a fully tooled out workshop

kaesae
    Free Member

This is my Meta 55 super team that I bulit a few months back.

It only cost me £510, including upgrading/replacing all the bearings in the frame and wheels. The frame has some slight cracks but since I’m not doing much on it, I don’t really bother about them.

With 2k you could build the perfect bike, you can try frame after frame over the winter, you can also try countless sets of forks, brakes, wheels. When you resell used parts you will either make a profit, break even or sell at a small loss. By the time next summer comes you can have a great understanding of what components suit your riding style and have a truly superb bike and riding experience.

Even better you can learn to build and fix your own bike, which in the long run will save you a fortune and a lot of time and hassle.

Go for it! get your mates round and get stuck into building and servicing your bikes.

One of my mates is coming at 2, we’re rebuilding and tuning his foes DHS mono. All he’s bringing is the beer and an extra pair of hands.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Build it yourself. It’s easy and fast. Done it a few times.

The headset tool is worth having, Cutting a steerer isn’t that difficult. All the other tools you should have already.

The STW classifieds and the Merlin website are your friends.

Having said which – it is a good time of the year to get a great deal on a new 2010 bike.

albino
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice chaps – looks like there are plenty of options to go with if I take the self-build route. Thanks for the offers of help for building/sourcing too…they may come back to haunt you! 😉

I’ve had a scout around for new frames and I think this could be do-able. Stif have got 2011 Heckler frames in for £899 and CRC have Hustlers for £956. The safety-blanket of the warranty is appealing! There is also a potenital Chumba option too.

I’m getting excited now, even though I might be riding again for a few months – a project like this would be a good way to while away the evenings instead of riding. I’ll be more excited once the insurance cheque comes through!

Stumpyjon – I’ve recently started using Rideon for bits and pieces and have been impressed with their friendly approach and helpfulness, (unlike certain other LBS near to me!). Think there might be some shopping going on there soon!

si-wilson
    Free Member

Albino, I may have some news regarding the VF2 pricing on new frames, mail me if you would like the info.

mooman
    Free Member

Spend a couple hours looking through the likes of CRC/Merlin/On-One … and ebay for parts. You will save yourself lots of money rather than using one retailer.

I honestly cant think of one part of assembling a bike that needs the LBS??

Headsets are easilly pressed in with a good sized threaded bolt. Just make sure its sitted in squarely and slowly wind it in … star nut can be tapped in with a tool purchased at the same cost as you will prob be charged by the LBS for doing it.
    Any other tools like bottom bracket tool can be borrowed from friends etc..

And Parktools website will fill in the other gaps..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Quickly get that deal on merlin for a complete SLX groupset incl. wheels for £400. You’ve got a fork which is often the most expensive single item. Then it’s just finishing kit and assorted stuff.

Waderider
    Free Member

In over 20 years of mountain biking I have never bought a complete bike. That would ruin the bonding experience. Just today I was in the LBS looking at £3k mountain bikes ready to roll, and I felt cold, no attraction.

But a pile of parts picked from personal experience and choice, put together with thought and care, that is the route to mtb nirvana.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Probably cheaper to buy a complete bike unless you start using second hand parts

My experience of buying a complete bikes is that I end up changing all the contact points anyway (stem too long, bars too high & narrow, saddle too cheap & nasty, tyres too hard and narrow, etc.) so never really works out cheaper for me.

I also seem to spend the first few weeks of ownership fixing the problems of crap set-up from the factory/shop. I much prefer to build it myself as I know I’ve put in the attention-to-detail it deserves, rather than it be built on a Friday afternoon by some bloke who couldn’t really care.

drofluf
    Free Member

To answer the original question last year my LBS charged me £100 to build up my road bike from a frame and a box of bits that I’d sourced myself. If they’d sourced the bits they’d have done it for nothing.

At the time it suited me as I saved more on the parts than the labour cost.

kiwijohn

My LBS usually says “there’s the workshop, do it yourself.”

richteabiscuit
    Free Member

Just one word of warning if you go for the diy build, you may end up with a garage/shed/kitchen full of your friends and workmates bikes that require building, finishing or tweaking. I’ve only built myself 3 bikes but done about a dozen for friends 😆

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Screwing in boottom bracket shells, and other threaded components, by hand first will give you a feel for the pitch of the thread and mean less chance of stripping once you apply a tool with a long lever.

stumpyjon

albino

go in regular enough and you get an automatic 10% discount 😉

TheSwede
    Free Member

Buy my large black ano / carbon rear 09 model yeti 575. Comes with headset fitted, seat clamp, front mech, chain protector and spare mech hanger £700 posted. All you have to do is put crown race on the forks and pop a bb and crank set on and it’s almost built.

TheSwede
    Free Member

richteabiscuit – Member
    Just one word of warning if you go for the diy build, you may end up with a garage/shed/kitchen full of your friends and workmates bikes that require building, finishing or tweaking. I’ve only built myself 3 bikes but done about a dozen for friends.

I will second that but some bring beer. It ain’t all bad.

albino
    Free Member

Thanks for the input agin! I’m definitley becoming more interested in the build idea, even if it was a “semi-build”. (Hopefully I’ll be able to get going once I get the roof fixed on my garage after the thieving-gits broke in through it!)

Having said that there seems to be some value in buying a complete second hand bike and selling & replacing some of the parts – It would probably work out cheaper and I could end up with my ideal spec.

If I went for a complete build and new high spec components all round I’ve worked it out at about £1400 exc frame and forks – although that’s including XTR shifters and a Gravity dropper! I reckon I could easily shave a few hundred off that if I went for used brakes, wheelset and ditched the Gravity Dropper. The main thing I want is easy shifting as I’ve got arthritis, so I don’t mind throwing money at that area.

The Swede – if that was a medium I would have had it (assuming the insurance settlement comes through ok!)…very tempting!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Building a bike…to do or not to do?’ is closed to new replies.