Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Building a bike for a 9/10 yr old..
  • nickmsm
    Free Member

Shortly going to start building a little 14” Kona for my son who’s 10 in May but pretty tall for his age. I am going to be buying most of it used so we can upgrade stuff when he gets bigger.

IMO I think it’s best to start off with a fairly lightweight build so he can get used to a 26” wheel/longer bike. A 100mm fork will suit the frame – any Rockshox suggestions please? also struggling on a wheelset – again, ideas would be much appreciated! Trying to keep the build to c£160-180 excluding frame/crackset/mechs.

jkomo

Reba’s are nice and light and 26” prices not too bad second hand. There was a pair on here for £90 not long ago.

conkerman
    Free Member

I was looking at getting some old bombers to build my lads first bike.

Other than that I’d agree with rebus, or maybe SIDs

nickmsm
    Free Member

Cheers – had thought of the Reba, I’ll keep my eyes peeled. Any suggestions on a decent light-ish wheelset? Literally have no idea with this as my BFe doesn’t exactly sport light wheels…

bol

I’ve built a couple with cheap Rebas. 26″ wheel sets are cheap as anything on eBay now. I got a nice set of EA70xcs for under £100. Likewise, narrow, flat handlebars are particularly unfashionable but perfect for a kid’s bike. Short stems less of a bargain.

peabrain
    Free Member

Re stems – has anyone got any views on the cheap ones from China

This

or this

bartimaeus
    Free Member

My son has had a 13.5″ Rockhopper since he was 10… the basic bike came from eBay, but had an immediate change of bars and stem to get the front lower, as well as some better pedals.

I still have the original 80mm Dart IIIs but a pair of 100mm Rebas from eBay were a huge improvement. I already had a stem – but otherwise I’d have gone for a Carboncycles Exotic Meta II which comes in a 60mm for £13.24. Bars here are 600mm flat from On One which are only £8 new (since replaced by some 685s now he’s nearly 13). Pedals are Wellgo LU987s which are £11 new… he now has Nano’s thanks to Superstar having a sale at Christmas!

He does have XT shifters though… not cheap, but the light action of SLX or XT makes a big difference to small hands.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Great cheers for that – bars look a great deal. Any other ideas for rims/hubs etc? 🙂 Brakes wise thinking along the lines of Shimano BR-M486.

transporter13
    Free Member

Ive not long built up a carrera detonate 24 for my son who is 8…this has involved changing pretty much every working part….the end result is something im (and he is) very happy with.
    Ive also built a ladies 14″ giant yukon for my 9yo daughter(she is 4’10) and she loves it……all that is left that she would like is some light forks.

Ill post some pics tomorrow

transporter13
    Free Member

Have you thought about building your own wheels…it can work out cheaper…i picked up a pair of rims(alex dm24) off the bay for next to nothing…then sourced a novatech front and rear hub for 35 quid…then a set of spokes from spa cycles and I think all in its cost me 55 quid.

Rosss
    Free Member

I’ve sent you an email about some Shimano MT15s which may work for you!

peabrain
    Free Member

For those using a 1 X 10 set up what size chainring? Looking at a 11-36 cassette.

transporter13
    Free Member

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

For those using a 1 X 10 set up what size chainring? Looking at a 11-36 cassette.

That’s what I did, altho 1×9. I decided front gears would be a bit too much for him to deal with and they tend to be a bit tough to change for little thumbs, unless you constantly renew the cable.

dai21t
    Free Member

I’ve recently built up a 24″ wheel carrera blast for my 8yr old. Fitted superstar wheels so I could run 1×10 on it, 32t front sprocket, 36/11 rear cassette. Used a few bits that I’ve taken off my bike, elixir 5 brakes, x9 rear mech etc. Also fitted answer flat bars and superstar stem.
    Most awkward really was the crank, the standard one wasn’t compatible with the single ring so had to cut down a set of SRAM s600 cranks instead.

poah
    Free Member

peabrain – Member

using a thorn 150mm crank, 30t with 11-36 cassette on a Carrera blast – you can get a 28t 64bcd from absolute black

transporter13
    Free Member

Good shout poah.

Thats me £103.50 worse off

poah
    Free Member

what you get?

peabrain
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I have the thorn cranks. Wish I could afford the 28t, but will have to be a 30t. The lad is strong and hates his granny ring on his current bike so should be ok.

edit – just checked his current bike and his chainrings are 42/34/24, 7 speed freewheel is 14-28. I think he will be fine with the 30.

peabrain
    Free Member

Loving the builds btw

bartimaeus
    Free Member

It’s a slippery slope – my son is already eyeing up a Reverb. But going 1 x 9 or better still 1 x 10 sounds better to me as that would bring the bike down to 27lbs or less, and kids don’t need the really big gears.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Some nice builds. 1×9 or 1×10 speed sounds a decent idea to me, although he’s tall being only 10 in May he would probably benefit from rear shift only.

transporter13
    Free Member

Poah…2 sets of thorn cranks @150mm length to rid 2 bikes of terrible cranks

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Also, I wouldn’t get too hung up on wheels, anything you build for him will be much lighter than the cheap bikes that most kids get bought for them. Cheap xc superstar wheels, cheap shimano MTB wheels, 2nd hand shimano/mavix717, anything a bit out of vogue you will get cheap ie wheels with silver spokes. I’d definitely put some lightweight, fast rolling tyres on whatever wheels ie racing ralphs, rocket rons.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Actually thinking of using the Hayes MX2 brakes, Deore/XT gearing, Sun/Shimano wheelset from my dad’s hardly ever used 2006 Cinder Cone. Works out a lot cheaper to do this and flog the frame/forks on. Wouldn’t mind upgrading the crank set though as both one I have for son’s bike and the Cinder Cones aren’t brilliant. Ideally change chainring/cassette sizes to run 1×9 speed.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The other key issue is that you buy brakes where the lever reach adjustment can be wound right in and still work well. I had problems with Magura Marta sl, wound right in they are touching the bars before they really bite.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Actually thinking of using the Hayes MX2 brakes, Deore/XT gearing, Sun/Shimano wheelset from my dad’s hardly ever used 2006 Cinder Cone. Works out a lot cheaper to do this and flog the frame/forks on. Wouldn’t mind upgrading the crank set though as both one I have for son’s bike and the Cinder Cones aren’t brilliant. Ideally change chainring/cassette sizes to run 1×9 speed.

Yep do that, spend the money on lightweight xc fast rolling tyres (maybe a slightly chunkier front so it doesn’t wash out on him). With new/nearly new tyres, get him some new pedals and grips, bits like that can visually transform a used bike. I think I got these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/octane-one-nylon-flat-pedals-2014/rp-prod110361

nickmsm
    Free Member

Good point re brake lever adjustment. Just checked and they’re the Hayes sole hydraulics – they need a damn good service though. TBH it’s probably going to be easier to start again as the cassette/chain rings will need changing, seat post won’t fit, bars/stem no good. Seems a shame to pull the Cinder Cone apart for minimal parts.

IainAhh

What are you all using for a seat for kids this age?

Just a half decent adult one or something smaller?
    I have most of the parts for a build for my 9 going on 10 daughter not sure about the seat though.
    I was thinking of a rigid fork initially.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I used a half decent adult seat for weight they have not moaned

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-acera-m395-disc-brake/rp-prod119954

I got these brakes – £20 an end and adjustable reach

Decent enough that i would happily use for touring or general trail use

Come with adjustments as the hoses are massive

No pics of complete bikes to show but they ended up at not much under £300 each with Sid forks , 9 speed X0 running gear, light tyres, inner tubes and Hope wheels etc.

Weight sub 25 lb for 3 x would possibly be sub 24 if 1 x

Better bikes but expensive and you get carried away

nickmsm
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIMANO-BR-BL-M355-Hydraulic-Brake-Rotors/dp/B00JRUFX0Q

Do these seem any good? I only have experience of Hope so haven’t a clue if they’re going to be suitable! Seems cheap enough considering full set.

Junkyard
    Free Member

bit of a weight issue but they should be fine
    personally I wanted something a bit weak as i had visions of them catapulting themselves over the bars

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

TBH it’s probably going to be easier to start again as the cassette/chain rings will need changing, seat post won’t fit, bars/stem no good. Seems a shame to pull the Cinder Cone apart for minimal parts.

If I’m understanding that correctly IMO you might be better off buying a complete bike. You can then do a bit of swapping about parts and still have complete bikes. Look at jump bikes as they tend to go for less than small mtbs , the trick is to find one that someone has lovingly built, and then realised dirt jumping was never for them. Until the bike above came up as too good to miss, I spent some time trying to find a suitable Ideniti Dr Jekyll (their adjustable dropout system is 24 and 26 wheel compatible). I’ve seen some really nice jump bikes go for under £200 on eBay actions.

kevj
    Free Member

I bought a second hand 14″ Kona Fire Mountain for my son, had the frame powder coated, converted it to 1×9 with better shifters and rear mech. I also bought some 24″ superstar wheels so the bike is the exact right size for him. I’ve kept the original 26″ wheels to fit later as he grows.

Forks are 100mm darts which came with the frame. They are reasonably smooth as I thought I may need to upgrade these. Might be his birthday treat.

nickmsm
    Free Member

If I’m understanding that correctly IMO you might be better off buying a complete bike. You can then do a bit of swapping about parts and still have complete bikes. Look at jump bikes as they tend to go for less than small mtbs , the trick is to find one that someone has lovingly built, and then realised dirt jumping was never for them. Until the bike above came up as too good to miss, I spent some time trying to find a suitable Ideniti Dr Jekyll (their adjustable dropout system is 24 and 26 wheel compatible). I’ve seen some really nice jump bikes go for under £200 on eBay actions.

I already have the 14” Kona frame (or will do this week), plus crank, chainrings, f&r mechs, post clamp. Probably would be cheaper to buy a full bike but they’re not that common in this size and I’ll only end up changing bits anyway 🙂

Kev – the Fire Mountain looks great, brings back memories as I had a 14” FM way back in 1994 when I was 12! Was my first proper bike.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ah, I was thinking you were saying all this stuff incl the frame was already a complete bike you didn’t want to breakdown and most of it might be worn out, wrong size or unsuitable.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi nickmsm

I built a 14″ Kona for our son after seeing the price of the Isla Creig.
    Similar build but big saving.

100mm RS reba fork
    Crossride wheels
    Avid elixir with adjustable reach
    Isla 152mm cranks with 28 tooth ring Super star front guide
    12 / 34 9 speed seems fine all round Whinlatter blue.

isla

Kona

mick_r

Madison and Decathlon do junior saddles that are a good size / weight / price compromise.

This homebuild comes in at 24lb inc big flat alloy pedals and chain guide (discs cut from polypropylene sheet off ebay). 11-34, 26 or 28 on the front with 160 cranks £20 from Spa Cycles. That gearing has been fine for most places (e.g. up the “Scorpion” at Mabie, Iron Keld and Kentmere in the Lakes etc)

Some other ideas on http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wheelsize-rant-children

(CX race photo borrowed from the nice folk at Whiteflyer Photography)

edhornby

Hello OP, are you basing your build on 26in wheels? I have some wheels you can have – 317rims, formula hubs, 135 rear, both QR – if you want them you can have them for the cost of postage (or if you can collect from Manchester then happy days).

The rear hub needs a service, or replacement if it’s really bad (a formula replacement should be fairly cheap to swap cos you could even reuse spokes to keep the costs right down).

thinking about it I can slap some tyres on them as well to get you started, and a set of wellgo flats – if it gets a lad on a bike then it’s all good by me 🙂

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

I built this for my 10 yr nephew for Christmas. Told his parents he wanted to get into mountain biking and they were ready to march off and buy a BSO.
    Went for a 16″ frame after trying my missus 16″ Kona Tika as he’s simply huge for his age!
    A lot of it was bits I’d removed for upgrades , Deore drivetrain, Raceface finishing kit, elixirs etc but he’s absolutely thrilled with it and he was well and truly hooked after his first trip to Afan.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Building a bike for a 9/10 yr old..’ is closed to new replies.