Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • BuildersTrackWorld – advice please
  • TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

I’m looking to fit some cabinets across the back wall of my brick garage and wondered if it’s possible to take out the breeze block column?

It looks to me as if its not tied in. I’ve tried to drill into it previously and it seemed very loose with the top one almost coming away. No roof joists finish on any of them.

Are they just there as an aid to initial construction or am I going to die under a pile of brick, timber and tiles?

sharkbait
    Free Member

They may well be tied in with wire ties – I doubt they put them there for fun but IANAB.

Are they just there as an aid to initial construction or am I going to die under a pile of brick, timber and tiles?

Depends where you’re standing when you remove the column and what’s on the roof.

BTW. Your doors look a bit warped…. I’d be looking at fixing them first.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m looking to fit some cabinets across the back wall of my brick garage and wondered if it’s possible to take out the breeze block column?

IANAbuilder, but aren’t those columns there to stop the wall becoming all flappy?

Why don’t you just make the cabinets to fit?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Have cabinets either side with a nice little row of shelves in front of the column.

nickjb
    Free Member

They are supposed to be there to help resist lateral loads. Should be every 3m or so. Whether you actually need them is debatable and will depend on the rest of the structure. I’d leave them in and build around.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Sledge hammer back in toolbox and afternoon to be spent re-thinking cabinet layouts.

moreupsthandownz
    Free Member

What nickjb said ^

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘BuildersTrackWorld – advice please’ is closed to new replies.