Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Builders – How much to re-point my house?
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Semi-detached house, top third is rendered and lower third is standard size brick.

Any builder recommendations in Leeds?

sparkyrhino

D.i.y , not hard just takes time, and if only lower half of house no scaffolding happy days

sparkyrhino

2 thirds sorry

MRanger156
    Free Member

How easy is it to do a good job yourself? Tools required?

I don’t mind paying for a professional to do it if the results will be better.

Rubber_Buccaneer

One of those jobs I’d say needs a bit of practice or you will make a right mess. Especially so if it’s anything other than bucket handle.

Me, I’m paying to have mine done but the job includes enlarging a couple of windows so my quote of £2,300 for the back of the house isn’t much use to you.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

In 3 bed semi here, all brick, except front, which is 1/3 rendered.

Cheapest quote was 1600. I saw some of his previous work, and new mortar was only 10mm deep, and blown in lots of places after only 6 years.

Went with a decent bloke who quoted 3000, but he went through 4 diamond discs at £120 a pop, and ground out about 30mm, and repointed with a grouting gun to make sure it was completely filled. Did a great job.

Could have done it myself, but it took him 3 weeks full time. Would have taken me 3 months.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Wow, I was thinking closer to a few days work and sub £500.

I’ll get a few quotes and then realise I can’t afford it!

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

That was for about 150m2 by the way

wrightyson
    Free Member

A tower Scaff is plenty suitable for a re point, try and wangle that in with your price.

Mugboo

Some fool quoted me £7500 for my end terrace!

Think £3000-£3500 sounds more like it. But it’s definately something you can DIY if do your research and have lots of time.

spchantler
    Free Member

don’t even think of diying it, its a tedious nightmare, which is why builders quote fairly highly for it. can you imagine 3 weeks of sitting on scaffolding doing the same three movements for eight hours a day? if you want to save money, get the scaffold put up and then remove the old stuff yourself, use a 4 inch angle grinder with a diamond disc, obv being very careful not to cut into the brick, just the joints. doing this might save you a few hundred quid, it should only take 2-3 days, the rest of the time is putting it back. i hate it, but i know two people in leeds who would be able to put a quote in

brickwizard
    Free Member

As spchantles says its a tedious job. It might seem diy able but believe me it would take a long time to master in and you only get one chance, mortar can make a terrible mess.
    get a proper tradesman in, job done no hastle.

simon-w
    Free Member

As a slight sideways look at this – if you need to grind out the existing pointing with a diamond disc……..what is wrong with the existing pointing?

I would have thought if it was that sound and secure the cheapest (and less risky) option would be to leave it. Am I missing something?

MRanger156
    Free Member

Mine has quite a bit missing. Got roughly 45-50 m2 so I’ll get some quotes and see how much it is

stomlinson
    Free Member

Hi mate I am a builder by trade £25 per m2 is about right plus materials which would be few hundred quid tops hope that helps

MRanger156
    Free Member

Thanks, much appreciated

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Builders – How much to re-point my house?’ is closed to new replies.