Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Builders eh? What a life….
  • loddrik
    Free Member

House over the road from me is having some work done, I swear for the past few days, the builders are either on, have just finished or are about to go on a break. I hope the householder isn’t supplying them with teabags or I fear she’ll need to sell the house just to pay for them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My builder is ace, works hard and charges fairly.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is your builder you?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I stick to interiors – late, poorly finished and overpriced.

yunki
    Free Member

I worked with a small building firm a few months back..

What an amazingly concientious and hardworking group of blokes.. The work can be dangerous and backbreaking at times.. and certainly cold.. dirty and frustrating at others and it was all taken care of with a big grin and some sterling customer relations skills and a huge technical knowledge and proficiency..

There were some times when there was a fair bit of waiting around.. for building inspectors.. concrete to arrive.. roofers to strap something up or plumbers to move some live pipes etc.. all under the critical and worried and often interfering eye of the properties owners..

I think builders get a bloody hard time

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Builder watching for two days ? I bet you’ve veiwed some nasty old arse cracks as they stoop to pick large mugs of tea up 😯

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

What a life… if you can find any work.

Most builders are having an incredibly hard time of it at the moment.

salad_dodger

Not so sure about that Mat, I’m finding it impossible to get builders to even come round to my house to price up a job worth in the region of £50k.

yunki
    Free Member

Most builders are having an incredibly hard time of it at the moment.

Is that still the case round your way..?

Round here they are working hell for leather with no-one moving house cos of the economy.. people just can’t seem to stop splashing the fake recession spare cash on home improvements..
    It’s an ace time for builders

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

‘ the builders are either on, have just finished or are about to go on a break. I hope the householder isn’t supplying them with teabags or I fear she’ll need to sell the house just to pay for them. ‘

They must be either on the cards or have a blo**y good price then!

binners

Yeah… the lazy bastards! Working in the rain, outdoors in all weathers carrying bloody big heavy things up ladders.

They don’t know how bloody easy they’ve got it!!!! I’ve got to get this magazine to print a week on Friday. Anyone fancy a coffee? I’ll make it when I’ve been for a fag 😉

iDave
    Free Member

Busy doing nothing you say?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You office lot should try the 55hr + working week……

khani
    Free Member

We’ve got the builders in at the moment on a big extension which is basically another house on the side of ours and they are great, as said above they only stop when they are waiting for concrete and steel and inspectors, then again I’ve seen some plonkers over the years as well,

thehustler
    Free Member

Sooo it’s been raining alot over the past few days, do you think they do alot of brick laying in heavy rain as it’s not really good formthe mortar

loddrik
    Free Member

Just to clarify, I didn’t accuse ALL builders are lazy, merely the ones over the road seem to be on a break a lot. There is a stereotype that some builders are indeed idle and most stereotypes have a basis in fact, but most builders probably do work hard, they do drink a lot of bloody tea though…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

A neighbour has had some painters like that in recently, at least one out of two has constantly been stood outside the house on a fag break on a mobile – accept he might be sorting other jobs out, but I can’t help feel that the 4 days they’ve been on the job could have been shortened if both painters had been working at the same time.

jon1973
    Free Member

You office lot should try the 55hr + working week……

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

The builder I have building me a Shed + other work came in on Saturday morning just after 9am and worked through to just before 6pm with a small break mid afternoon. Worked bl**dy hard IMO. I lifted through a few bags of balast and some concrete blocks and it almost killed me. They’re made of sterner stuff than me.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

could have been worse – they could have spent all their working hours arseing about on the internet in cycling foums avoiding doing the filing

erm…

you haven’t seen me, right 😳

loddrik
    Free Member

I can’t really talk anyway. I am out of work looking after the kids, baby is in bed so I am sitting on my arse watching Jeremy Kyle which I sky+ earlier. How f@cked up is that…?

Who am I to cast aspersions…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

£53.33 an hour to keep checking up on STW while doing some proper work.

Not bad…

But demolition labouring for £6ph was probably more fun.

chickenman

That mobile phone thing: OK I’m a joiner, I have a phone; I don’t keep it in my pocket so I don’t need to answer it all day. I look at other tradesmen and yes, it’s true they do spend 15 mins in the hour on the phone all of which gets charged to the customer.
    Do folk not know the adage “sometimes the unobtainable is all the more desirable ” LOL!!!
    How is it that what started out as a usefull tool ends up running your life for you???
    UKC forum had a post about a lad who fell off the top of a Gritstone route and was air ambulanced off: Apparently he was distracted when his phone rang at a crucial move at the top. I’ve heard of people taking calls during the act of leuve.
    I rest my case….hang on that’s my phone!!!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

@ Mulletus, Cheeky B**tard! Was that the same builder who didn’t come around on Sunday because it was raining?

p.s. Did i leave my trowel there in yellow bucket? Don’t want it to get rusty!!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I was actually being sincere. I don’t thing anyone would have worked in that though. It was horrible.
    Ref. Trowel. I don’t think it was left exposed. It could be under the cover. I’ll have a look tonight and bring it inside if it’s there.

zokes
    Free Member

You office lot should try the 55hr + working week

I do thanks.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Builders eh? What a life….’ is closed to new replies.